• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Removing Glue from lava rock

Aqua360

This may or may not have an obvious answer, but if you've previously glued plants to lava rock, then changed things about and you're left with glue marked lava rock; is there an easy way to get rid of the glue?

First assumption is a Dremel, but risk of chipping away chunks of the rock.

Asking for a friend of course 😂🌝

What glue was used ,there is something that you can use to release super glue bonding, if you prise as @fredi suggests a nd pour it in. Not sure what chemical it is try Screwfix maybe?

If it's superglue you could try a solvent, something like acetone... But if it is a kind of porous rock such as lava is and the glue is soaked in it might not get it all out. Then a chisel and a hammer or a Dremel is the only thing left to try...

Or work smarter and not harder... ;) Mask it... Take some piece of the same rock from a side that you would put in/on the substrate anyway so you don't see it is chipped off. Then grind this piece into powder. Or find sand with the same colour. take superglue again put it on the same spot and sprinkle it with this rock dust till it's a'll covered. Do this in dry conditions to prevent the superglue from reacting with water and turning white. 💪

Never to be seen again... Many people do the same thing by using cigarette filters or cotton wool to glue the hardscape together.

Last edited:
What glue was used ,there is something that you can use to release super glue bonding, if you prise as @fredi suggests a nd pour it in. Not sure what chemical it is try Screwfix maybe?
I think gorilla glue, chances are i'm just going to have to hammer and chisel!

It is acetone what l was thinking of but couldn't recall the name as @zozo says, worth a try
I tried acetone already. It did not work. Once superglue is set, it hardens up like cement. A sure way to remove glue residue is to use an electric grinder, which is labor intensive. . Its better to glue plants on grey and white rock like limestone or lace rock which blend in the white patches..

Back