• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Replace biohome ultra with foam?

aharries

I've been doing some research on filter media and have come across the findings the Aquarium Science – The Science of Aquariums.

I'm growing sceptical about ceramic media etc. and am thinking foam/pot scrubbers etc. is the way to go.

The media on the internal filter on my Fluval Spec 60 is mostly foam any way. The Oase Filtosmart 100 on my other tank is two thirds foam. The one I'm thinking of messing around with is the All Pond Solutions 1000ef. Currently it has one tray of foam and the other two trays are biohome ultra.

Do you reckon I should swap out the biohome with foam/pot scrubbers?
If so - all at once, or one tray at a time.

Thanks for any input.

Regards,
Adam.

Choose whatever works in your conditions as a good mechanical filtration. Biological filtration will take care of itself.

Hi all,
I've been doing some research on filter media and have come across the findings the Aquarium Science – The Science of Aquariums.
<"It is a fantastic page">, I pop back every now and then for a re-read.
I'm growing sceptical about ceramic media etc. and am thinking foam/pot scrubbers etc. is the way to go.
Ceramic media is fine, so are sponge, floating cell media etc. <"Oase Biomaster 250 - Heater does not fit">
Once you know that then all the discussion about the relative merits of Biohome etc. become a bit like re-arranging the deck-chairs on the Titanic.
That is it really for me, all you need is a filter medium that <"remains fully oxygenated">.
Do you reckon I should swap out the biohome with foam/pot scrubbers?
It would be fair to say I'm not a <"Biohome fan boy">, but if I already had some? I'd carry on using it.
If so - all at once, or one tray at a time
Yes, one tray at a time.

Cheers Darrel

Last edited:
Biohome is definitely not as good as foam. That being said Biohome isn't useless and in a planted tank the amount of nitrogen processing in the filter is much less relevant than in the heavily stocked, unplanted tanks AquariumScience bases their information on.

So over time, as the biohome breaks down, as you remove some because it won't sit right in the tray, replace it with foam but it's not bad enough to need immediate replacement unless you're finding you need more nitrogen processing don't stress over it.

I got sucked in by A certain guru when I rejoined the hobby after a five year break and both my external filters are half filled with biohome. I'm confident I could stock significantly more tetras if I switched it to foam but haven't bothered because my tanks ecosystem is stable.

Bear in mind also that your flow rate may well be higher with biohome than lots of foam.

Back