• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Rescape. going to low-tech

krazypara3165

This may be a long one..........

As some of you are aware i have been a member on here for over a year now and i have learnt a lot along the way. ive had a fluval edge, a custom 10l, and a 4ft monster. i'll ignore the smaller tanks for now, so heres how it started!

2012-11-19175247_zps85b1701c.jpg

It started with an all pond solutions 4ft tank. However some of you may of seen the old post about the earlier 4ft one i bought off ebay when the brace bar snapped during testing...... anyway i picked up some wood from my lfs and some black sand and this was the layout i decided on.

after talking to a member on here i managed to get hold of a large quantity of south american plants and here is how it looked after planting.

2012-11-20210931_zpsfdbf5e6f.jpg

after planting i picked up a 2kg c02 canister and regulator and an E.I kit and the plants really got going!!!!! as you may of noticed i also aquired some young discus.

2013-01-12171648_zpse3113e88.jpg
2013-01-12171705_zpsce4d96f1.jpg
2013-01-12171658_zps32ce8b0e.jpg

as you can see the growth was phenominal! however after algae reared its ugly head I struggled getting the correct balance with c02 and lighting. as such the plants struggled and this is how it ended up as of last month after ditching the co2 and reducing the lighting intensity by 50%.

20130924_202809_zpscba4475b.jpg

as my discus are now thriving and two are now in a breeding setup i want to do a large re-scape as i will be receiving 4 wild green discus at the end of the month.

I want to remove the black sand and change it to play sand as the colours on the discus in the breeding tank have really come out after moving them to a brighter enviroment! i also want a bit of a discus biotape theme going on with lots of root style wood coming down from the top to the bottom of the aquarium. unfortunatly i cant seem to get hold of any good pieces of wood. so ive ripped out the wood currently in my tank which had a layer of BBA algae and left it overnight in the bath after pouring 2L of 'easycarbo in to nuke it and im contemplating putting it upright in the aquarium and growing some emmersed plants on it so that they brake the waterline what do you think? i will also be popping to argos for the sand on sunday. meanwhile i will be putting all the fish into a qt tankwhilst i remove the old substrate as i KNOW there is anerobic pockets.....

ignore the plants.... this is what i am thinking with the wood....

2013-10-03185752_zps8427e424.jpg
2013-10-03185732_zpsd745767d.jpg
sorry for the poor quality.

Anyway nothing here is set in stone and all opinions are welcome. i know i want a 'biotape style' but i want a few plants in there just to make it interesting. the hard part will be picking the plants and the harder part will be placing them! ill be using some of the ones that are in the tank already as i love how the vallis is getting on.

once again i would like to thank everyone here as you really have made this hobby ten times more enjoyable (and less stressful!)

Craig.

How about getting some forked manzy branches or Sumatra drift wood(the green machine) You could attach them to some sort of pole(acrylic tube or rod) that ran across the top of the tank or with suckers to the back of the tank and then they could be lifted up/off for any maintenance. You could always put some java fern, hygrophila pinnatifida and mosses directly on the wood leaving the bottom of the tank plantless. Hydrocotyle verticillata makes a lovely surface plant in a low tech. I have some in a pot stuck to the side of the tank but it can be left floating. I would love to do a tank like this but for chocolate gourami.

About plants and Discus: i would advise to keep the discus in at least 28 Celcius, with the possibility to raise it to 30-31 if they don't feed wel. Wildcaught discus need good water quality (for breeding they need soft water, but for keeping moderate hard water shouldn't be a problem) so invest in good and ample filtration. Best would be a sump if possible. If not do at least ttwo cannisters so you can clean them one every few weeks. And do loads of waterchanges, especially in the beginning.
Now for plants you need plants that can take the temperature. I would go for some swordplants and some floaters (try to get Ceratopteris pteroides, it eats a lot of nitrates).
Remember you need to feed discus , especially younger ones , a lot, so you'll get a lot of wasteproducts in the water (hence the floaters and the waterchanges).

Cheers Edvet! At the moment my discus are kept 29-30 but I indent to drop it down a degree to benefit the plants a bit more. I have recently debated setting up a sump but the cost and the time to set one up put me off a little. at the moment I have x2 2000lph cannisters which pretty much never need cleaning as I do 2-3 50% water changes a week. I'll look into the plants this evening as I need to compile a list anyway.

still not happy with the wood :/ so I have taken it out for now. I popped up to TGM on Saturday morning and had a brew and a chat with the owner, who nearly persuaded me to go back to high tech, however as it will be at the expense of the discus and because I love Alastair's tank i am sticking with low tech. I had a good look at some of the pieces of wood there and i have decided rather than waste money on cheap wood that I know I will dislike I will be saving up for some of the larger pieces and adding them when funds allow. however at £70 a piece it will be an ongoing process. As I need to pick up the new discus soon I wont be doing too much to the tank to start off with. Next weekend the existing fish will be going into my QT tank and i will be replacing the black sand with natural sand with a ozmocote base layer watch this space......

Back