• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Rescape substrate.

jamesb

I will be rescaping in the near future and plan to go co2 heavy planted etc. I was initially planning on pfs with root tabs as although not on a budget so to speak when looking at planted tank specific substrates I feel they are soooooo pricey. I just wondered if pfs and root tabs will be adequate or if I need a base layer. And if so recomendations. Thanks guys

Juwel rio 180
2 angels
2 Siamese flying foxes
3 yo yo loaches
4 Julii corys
10 guppys
1 German blue ram

Re: Rescape substrate.

I currently have Akadama, very cheap substitute molar clay (find info in the substrate section) which im getting on with ok but feel my carpet would have been complete with an enriched substrate. I know someone will say it shouldnt make a difference, maybe im a ADA fanboy wannabe.
Have used eco complete - waste of cash.
Kitty littler is also pretty popular, very similar to akadama but KL tends to be capped.
Will use amazonia next time though as the proof is in the pudding and there is a lot of tasty looking pudding on this site. :lol:

Why not dose EI. If you do go down this road, you wont have to dish out on expensive substrates.

I was planning on dosing EI I just wanted to make sure pfs and tabs would be adequate. Tank is rio 180. Will be co2 fed with either inline atomiser/diffuser or cerges reactor. 2x 45w t5 with reflectors, EI ferts, hoping for just pfs with tabs but this can be altered if massive improvement will be seen

Juwel rio 180
2 angels
2 Siamese flying foxes
3 yo yo loaches
4 Julii corys
10 guppys
1 German blue ram

Back