• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Reverse Osmosis Usage Check

Bradders

Hi All,

In terms of RO water, and moving your hard tap water to a softer one, is is really just a case of mixing tap water with RO water to create the softer water?

Just wanted to check this out before I think about trying anything on my Hard (nearly Very Hard) tap water in an established aquarium. I know pure RO is dangerous to fish, and also not sure why some mix with tap and some use a remin product instead.

Any thoughts and things to watch for would be great

Thanks,
Brad

Salts wise my current regime of Ca, Mg (Inc sulphate) and all the other ferts added, even after a few weeks of accumulation should add around 46ppm Tds. Tap water is fairly consistent at 55ppm, so assuming nothing added gets used that gives me a total of around 101ppm.
For sure waste products coming from the fish and plants will add to these numbers (lets guess 10~15ppm?) but conductivity throughout the week remains within 1~2 ppm and week in week out tds readings remain incredibly stable, so I'm kind of perplexed as to why we are now at 140ppm.

Imperically, when I add everything in correct proportion to a bucket of RO water (Ca,Mg,NPK,Micros) I end up with a TDS of about 75 ppm for one of my tanks, but I never see a TDS lower than ~80-90 ppm in that tank - so the buildup (predominantly from waste and possibly some leaching bits here and there due to my low pH ~6) seems to be constantly hovering around 5-15 ppm. With a bit more rigor - i.e. more frequent and larger WC's - I could probably shave off 5-10 ppm (at most)... If I lapse on WC's the tank fairly quickly get up around ~100 ppm.

The plan is do a couple of back to back large water changes, vacuum some of the substrate and see where that leaves us. I suspect after doing this tds levels will end up leveling out at around 120ppm.
That would be quite a dent for well maintained tanks such as yours, but sounds plausible.

As an aside @Bradders despite my earlier comments about conductivity/tds numbers I think they are a fantastic bit of kit for monitoring trends in our tanks. 😀
A TDS meter is a huge help to maintain consistency. Besides temperature, it's really the only thing I measure on a regular basis. Typically before and after WCs and in my WC mixing buckets - If it's not what I expect it's because I screwed up somewhere... for instance, when measuring out the salts that I front load.

Cheers,
Michael

Last edited:
As an aside @Bradders despite my earlier comments about conductivity/tds numbers I think they are a fantastic bit of kit for monitoring trends in our tanks. 😀
You won't be surprised to hear that I have one tucked nicely under my aquarium. :cool:

Hi all,
Plenty more space for fish there, @dw1305.
I think you are right, it is definitely <"go big, or go home">.

This is my new tank, I think that this one really is fully stocked.

fishes-and-scales.jpg!Large.jpg

Fishes and Scales M.C. Escher Date: 1959 <"Fishes and Scales, 1959 - M.C. Escher - WikiArt.org">

cheers Darrel

Hi all,

I think you are right, it is definitely <"go big, or go home">.

This is my new tank, I think that this one really is fully stocked.

View attachment 216158

Fishes and Scales M.C. Escher Date: 1959 <"Fishes and Scales, 1959 - M.C. Escher - WikiArt.org">

cheers Darrel
I love Escher! He had no formal mathematical training and claimed he had no abilities in the domain, yet contemporary mathematicians such as Sir Roger Penrose had a deep appreciation of Escher's deep and intuitive mathematical abilities.

Roger Penrose talks about his relationship with the Art of M C Escher | Mathematical Institute

Cheers,
Michael

Last edited:
Back