• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Riccia and Glosso problem

keith5700

Seedling
Hi all. First post. I've been reading this forum for months now and it's helped loads in transforming my tank from an algae farm to a half decent planted set up.
The only things I have problems with are the riccia and the glosso.
Firstly the riccia. I fix it to the rocks with black fishnet tights stretched over it all. This works great for a month but eventually the riccia gets too tall and it pulls itself from the rock in a great big clump. Then the cycle starts over with the tights. I'm getting through a pair a week at the moment!
Is there a better way to attach it to the rocks so it will last a bit longer before floating away?
It gets to about 2" before its floatation force overcomes it's anchoring force.
The third pic shows two big clumps which broke away today.

And the Glosso. It took months to get it to grow but now it's gone mad. The problem area is at the front against the glass. It's about 4" tall now and getting taller. I suppose my question is, is it best to trim it down drastically and let it re-grow, or pull it all up from the front half of the tank and let it spread forwards again from the back.

The tank is 6' long and I'm using pressurized co2, 4 x 58w tubes and full EI dosing.
I'll have a go at putting some pics up.

fishtank141.jpg

fishtank146.jpg

fishtank147.jpg

fishtank151.jpg

fishtank157.jpg

That's an impressive carpet. I think the glosso is only growing taller as it won't get any light if it grows underneath those thick carpet. Cut to all the way down to the substrate and the new leaves should be hugging the ground.

Riccia you have to keep trimming it sometimes on a weekly basis otherwise the bottom will rot away such as what you have in your tank and it'll float up. Unfortunately there is nothing that can be done about that. Glosso can be trimmed easily as if you are mowing a lawn.

Thanks both. Daniel, I think my glosso question should have been more specific. Do you think if i trimmed it all back so there was, say, 1/2" of stalk sticking up from the substrate, that it would grow again as it was before but lower?
I'm a bit hesitant as the bottom 2" of the plant is just a thin white stalk with no leaves or anything on them at the moment.
Cheers.

Looking at that I'm afraid I think it's reached the stage where you need to replant the glosso! Pull it all up and then trim it into individual nodes (a section of stem with a pair of leaves) and replant as close together as you can. It'll take you a few hours but you'll get a lovely tight carpet again in a few weeks.

Then you need to keep it trimmed to prolong the time between replantings. Everytime a shoot heads upwards cut it off near the substrate then you'll get a low, dense carpet. Unfortunately glosso does need a replant every so often - it's one of the issues with growing this species.

You need to do similar with the riccia too. I think some folks use the netting from veg bags though so that you can reuse it. Then keep the riccia trimmed too to lengthen the time between 'replanting'.

Oh dear, that's what I was afraid of. Ok I'll do that, and, as you say, try to take more care of it!
Could be worse, I was going to get an 8' tank!
Cheers.

Back