• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Riccia Carpet?

Wilis

Hi everyone,

I'm thinking of using riccia fluitans as the carpetting plant in my new 48 x 24 x 20 as I think it looks gorgeous, I'll be using ADA Amazonia & was wondering what the best method of keeping it secured was until it settles in? Also I believe it needs trimming fairly often to keep it from floating up & also to prevent the undergrowth from dying off?

Regards
Will

I used one of those scrunched up netting type things that women keep in the shower for no apparent reason. I got the idea off Supercoley.

This...
Week2021pb.jpg

...turned in to super high maintenance this in no time.
Sunsetpb.jpg

Dave.

Awesome!
Pics are good & the guides v useful, thanks guys.
As riccia doesn't put down any roots though would my aquasoil develop anaerobic spots under the carpet?

Will

All those rocks and slate you see are sat on top of Argos play sand. I didn`t get any anaerobic spots.

Dave.

Hmmm, thanks Dave, although the area I'm thinking of carpetting is quite expansive so maybe I should go with one of my other ideas & then use some riccia like I normally use other mosses, decisions, decisions...
Will

Wilis said:
Hmmm, thanks Dave, although the area I'm thinking of carpetting is quite expansive so maybe I should go with one of my other ideas & then use some riccia like I normally use other mosses, decisions, decisions...
Will

The tank I showed has 80% substrate coverage with rocks. Riccia looks so much better as a feature plant, rather than an after thought on the odd piece of slate.

I used my lights on a split timer, so in the evening only the rear light was on. This would show the pearling off in all its glory. That is how the scape got the name "The Crystal Acre".

People worry unduly about anaerobic pockets IMO.

Dave.

Hi Dave - You don't know what I do with my moss! :lol:
I generally like my plants on wood eg anubias,mosses etc & my moss to grow quite large having used it on a few interesting pieces in my tanks & even had it as a partial carpet in my 180. Gaining inspiration from my nature aquarium books & having recently visited the abyss in stockport where i saw some nice pieces I have an idea for a large flatish piece of wood I'd like to incorporate into the scape with the top being 'planted' with riccia.
I have a few pieces of slate in my 70l (nothing actually attached to them though) - Well we are in North Wales,what else! :D
Regards
Will

Back