• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Rimless/ Braceless Tank - Glass Thickness

@discusdan - Some good points, but the major companies use thinner glass purely down to the cost. Simple as that.

Obviously it must withstand the pressure/bowing etc or they wouldn't get away with it for very long, but it's the minimum they can get away with.

Some of the top tank builders in the country just use what us mere mortals with any sense use and that's the HA6 or HA7 stuff. (can't remember which exactly of the top of my head)

It takes a lot more time, attention and work doing a DIY, but do it right and a DIY will just be as strong, if not stronger, than a mass produced tank.

Last edited:
Yeah no doubt the biggest factor in using thinner glass is to maintain the highest profit margins possible and like you say as long as the tanks arn't failing they will continue to do so.

Also agree that if a DIY tank is made well it should last just as well as a mass produced tank, I used HA6 for my tank and it is strong old stuff!
I'm yet to see a DIY tank with silicone joints as refined as ADA tanks though.

DIY aquarium building gets a bad name usually from people who have rushed into building a tank with out researching correct construction methods and glass requirements, they then build a tank with undersized glass and poorly executed silicone seals and when it fails they tell every one how much of a bad idea DIY tank building is.

Yeah agreed, you're never going to get a finish like you would from a machine/robot or whatever jigs they may use.

Just as in anything really though, if you have a bit of common sense, there's no reason a DIY effort should end up a disaster.

That reminds me, I must get down to B&Q tomorrow and buy myself some anti fungicide silicone. I have some green house glass here ready to make myself a braceless 2ft deep 4 footer :D

Back