• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

River Slope

I have placed the ferns on the wood, with a ball of riccia around its roots, the orchid is on a small pot above the water level, and the rest is on a glass jar with my other emersed plants. 90% humidity for most part of the day, with two or three hours a day open top. Should take fine.

So far the plants are doing good.

Darrel's ferns are still doing good, the orchid was moved from the tank to a emersed setup, with 80% humidity.

I have not found a way to take a better picture of the Java Fern, too little light, it seems:
5054981098_cd042dd9fb.jpg

5054971294_38de6d27aa.jpg

5054957412_b3d3afd50b.jpg

5054365413_d01e91ef0f.jpg

5054293793_49e05ee0ac.jpg

5054250103_1691212a65.jpg

My neon group:
5054371493_143de6c273.jpg

5054937630_df83f2e42b.jpg

5054346037_969d35df27.jpg

5054855678_38ee02d8c4.jpg

Emersed area:
5054927748_194a6819f3.jpg

5054305565_1bfaae0c3d.jpg

5011435490_48d87aca78.jpg

5054279941_cbbce38c37.jpg

Full tank:
5054331651_e69048a00f.jpg

5054322129_86cbe383f4.jpg

Thanks Darrel,

The Selaginella was luck of the draw, I saw it on a LFS and though, there is no way that that is an aquatic plant, so I bought a couple and tried it out. At first it dries out, but then as I spray with water it gets more used to the drier home environment.

The Aspidistra and Syngonium are by far the best emersed plants to work with, they are very easy to move about and hardy. The Sygonium is not even planted, just with the roots dangling on the water and it is growing quite fast, it had a prune.

I found now a moss on the wood, don't know what it is, it is growing emersed, will take a photo maybe others can identify it.

Thanks.

What I need now is to find a way to take a proper picture. I got a Nikon D70, but the camera strugles with the light.

Either too bright and captures the underwater plants, or too dark and we only see the emersed area.

Maybe I should invest on some photo lights.

The wood was moved down, and the tips are still emersed, as I was having issues with flow. Pictures to follow.

Also had an issue with CO2, overdosed the tank and neons and rainbows died, along with all shrimp. :( Been ridding on the yellow marker for too long, and just tipped it. Very stupid on my part, especially as the bottle was also on red.

Lights are off now, until I replace the bottle. two 50% water changes in two days. The Khuliis and cory's will do away with the dead shrimp, but loosing the neons and dwarf rainbows is gutting.

Have ordered a bubble counter to keep a eye on the amount of CO2 being pumped in.

unusual in style for the joining of underwater and above planting but it look nice and very good for fish.

Toulouse said:
unusual in style for the joining of underwater and above planting but it look nice and very good for fish.

Thanks. I wanted to replicate a natural look, and had I had a bigger house I would even put some rocks above and a small river coming from the top down, using a small pump to get the water flowing.

Hi all,
Luis wrote
Also had an issue with CO2, overdosed the tank and neons and rainbows died, along with all shrimp.
Hi Luis really sorry to hear about your loss, this is the major reason why I don't use CO2. As a lot of your planting has the "aerial advantage" - access to atmospheric CO2 , why don't you go low tech?

You could increase the surface turbulence to get maximum gaseous exchange (both O2 & CO2 in and out along the concentration gradients), decrease the light and slowly decrease the fertiliser input. You won't have the lush submerged growth you have now, but you won't have to worry about gassing your fish either.

cheers Darrel

I may do that, I have kept now to just 1 bubble a second, giving me a green drop checker.

Been temped to have it lowish tech, with anubias, crypts and java ferns, the loss of the fish really made me feel bad.

LondonDragon said:
Looking good Luis, that Koralia so close to the surface will get rid of the CO2 in the water in no time ;)

Oddly enough the CO2 drop checker remains at light green.. No more ridding the yellow train for me.. :)

Also, the water is much clearer, surface movement is working well for me, two weeks after the CO2 mess up.

Just got 24 Ember tetras for the tank, they shoal great! Also with the emersed area they show their colors really nice.. Great fish it seems..

They are alone on the tank for now, but I am looking for green neons as well.

Luis

That's looking really nice! That A.Hastifolia is great isn't it? I look forward to seeing a few inches of growth and lots of full leaves sticking out.
Ember tetras are great fish! My daughter has 15 in her 2ft. We love em! :)
Cheers

Gavin

Back