• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Ro water remineralization to make it safe to drink ?

Is it true that RO make cavities because of the low pH and/or the absence of fluor ?

Is it true that RO make cavities because of the low pH and/or the absence of fluor ?
Man, I am not sure where you get that info from but by now I should have no more teeth if that were true. RO water PH is around 7. That's neutral. As for the fluoride you get it mainly with toothpaste and also with certain foods (seafood, grapes, tea/coffee etc). You'll get cavities for sure if you don't brush your teeth and eat sugar everyday, fruits included, even if you drink fluoride enhanced water.

Hi all,
Not exactly, saliva is naturally alkaline and hard, alkaline water contains (Ca) calcium and (bi)carbonate (2HCO3-) and traces of many minerals, frequently <"including fluoride (Fl-)">. These have a protective role for the teeth enamel. Personally I just love our hard tap water to drink, I love the taste and the "clean feel" it gives your mouth. I should have added in @Zeus. because he is a dentist.
RO water PH is around 7
Reverse Osmosis water is slightly acidic (from the dissolved CO2), and it doesn't protect the teeth, but the saliva will act as <"a proton acceptor"> for the small amount of extra protons from the dissolved CO2 (carbonic acid (H2CO3) which disassociates to H+ (your proton) and HCO3- ).

Other drinks will be much more acidic. This can be from natural acids, like the citric acids in orange juice, or they can be carbonated drinks (including carbonated water) which contain a much larger amount of protons from <"the elevated levels of CO2">.
*I don't know how much dissolved CO2 there is in a can of coke, but <"my guess is quite a lot"> scrub that, it is an incredible amount . I've just found that coke link, which says "0.14mol CO2 in 1000mL".
From this you can probably deduce that the drinks that are really bad for your teeth are <"sugary, carbonated drinks"> like <"Irn Bru"> and Coke.

cheers Darrel

Last edited:
If your tap water tastes bad why not just use an under sink filter on it? We had a new kitchen tap fitted some years ago and it came with a Brita filter. We only use it for drinking and cooking. The strange thing is (to me at least) it has stopped limescale from forming in our kettle and steamer which is a bonus.

If your tap water tastes bad why not just use an under sink filter on it? We had a new kitchen tap fitted some years ago and it came with a Brita filter. We only use it for drinking and cooking. The strange thing is (to me at least) it has stopped limescale from forming in our kettle and steamer which is a bonus.
I might have a weird mouth, there is only few water that i love, i tried brita yesterday, i don't like it. I love pure RO more than minerals water, exeption for french volvic water and baking soda and epsom salt in ro water, it taste great, i now think it's safe because as folks said above, there are country where tap water is awfull and then drink ro all day. As long as the diet is good. I was afraid with thooth decay but reading Darrel links, there is way more risk with soda and stuff. Will update if i lose my theeth 😅

Thanks guys, sorry if i bothered someone, i'm just curious and i found not a lot of informations on internet

Back