• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Rob's 300L Perigean Beach

Re: Rob's 300L (to be named)(week 1 photos)

Scrape the hairy parts off with a wire cutters knife mate. You dont wanna be leaving that on. And if you do a good job, you could start a little cottage industry, but I want a 10% cut for the idea ;)

Re: Rob's 300L (to be named)(week 2)

Rummies really like a well matured environment, so if you have a choice, the cories would be better probably. ;) This tank is taking off better than a Harrier Jump Jet !!!

It's like magic! I get to the shop and they don't have the tetras ready yet, still in quarantine but the sterbai are ready and waiting.
Such cool little fish. Very lively and investigative so far. I like how they swim in formation as well. I must get some video soon.
Here is the only one who would stay still long enough for a quick shot:

7657490490_1632f2d892.jpg

RNTs will be collected in a week or so. They look good. Nice and colourful.

I wish mine would swim at the front as much as I hoped they would :( Deffo wanna see a vid of them :) Thats a cool looking fella... Bet he stays on the dark bits just because you wanted them to contrast the sand 8)

All going well for now. The rotalas have gone actually crazy and are nearly breaking the surface. I'll probably do my first big cut back soon and re-plant the tops and double the amount of plants! I wasn't expecting such rapid growth.

Looking forward to getting the rummy noses in next week. They will add some nice movement I hope.

In other news we have a house guest, who liked the look of the minnows living near by. Luckily (for them) he was over ambitious and ended up catching a face full of riverbed instead!

7667333488_0b7b41700b.jpg

Re: Rob's 300L Perigean (week 2)

Thought I'd do a combo for this quick update.

You can see how the plants are doing. Stems are reaching the surface and the top few inches of rotala are turning red which is good.

The cardinals are looking happier in their new home. (They are staying for good). The sterbai are awesome little fish. They spend most of their time on the bottom, or sitting on anubias leaves but now and then they shoot up do a kind of reverse dive-bomb, almost like a dolphin. At first I thought it might be a sign of too much CO2 but I asked around and looked online. Seems like normal behaviour.
Later this week I'll be doing a big trim. I;ll be replanting the rotalas and I'm debating getting some staurogyne repens too but unsure about that yet.

So on to todays photos. The sterbai are such cool little characters I felt I should give them chance to shine.

7678836050_ffa250e28f_z.jpg

I'm really looking forward to having a good clean up and taking some decent pictures, once everything has matured a bit.

Thats perfectly normal for Corys mate... they actually get air from the surface sometimes :) Which rotala do you have ? Its all looking fantastic !! You must be well chuffed.

Cheers Chris. Kind of what I had read but great to hear from a trusted source!

The rotala on the left is macrandra and on the right is rotundifolia. The macrandra is a lovely plant. It can go anything from green, through oranges and rusts, right to vivid red and almost purple. Mine is orange/red at the tips now and I'm wondering if it will change any more. Can't imagine what will happen when the halides get to work.

I'm pretty happy so far. The only real problem I have is that the HC, while growing well, is having trouble settling. The NA substrate is perhaps just a little to big. Or maybe it will just take more time than the small ADA in the other tank.

Re: Rob's 300L Perigean Beach (week 2)

Bah! My tank is now full of lime green water. Had a cory die today. When I got home from work it was lookinga bit lopsided and not happy. I called Amazon Aquatics (who supplied them) and I had a good chat with Mike there, who is a decent bloke and incredibly helpful. While I was on the phone talking about swim bladder infections the little sterbai gave up the ghost.
I took it to Mike who confirmed the swim bladder problem. He has given me some garlicy food to feed over the next few days, as well as a mild medicine, hence the green water.

Fingers crossed please!

hope all goes well. I have only lost fish due to jumping and it makes me profoundly sad.

Fish are seemingly ok this morning. No more losses and none of them look unbalanced or ill, as far as I can tell. They didn't eat much of the garlicky food during the night though. I'll remove now and give them some fresh at lights out tonight but fingers crossed!

Little update. Sterbai seem to be doing fine now. Certainly getting some strong colour and eating well.

Plants are raging! The rotala has just started to touch the surface, so a big trim this weekend. Next week the rummy nose tetras will go in.

I've been watching the tanks flow carefully too and noticed an area which wasn't getting much, so I've added a Kerala nano to counter that. Great little pumps. Small as well and easy to take out for photos.

Only other news is the diatoms have taken to the cobbles. I'm tempted to let them have their way as they help the cobbles fit in.

I've had a big maintenance session now. Fish are all good, no more problems and I think it should be ok to get the tetras in mid to end of this week. That will have been a good ten days.

Anyway both the rotalas and the mystery stem had hit the surface and needed hacking back, so I've cut them right back to about 6 inches or so. I've replanted some of the rotalas, so I hope they will take. Others have been sent to a new home - I'm sure you'll see them on ukaps at some point).

I ordered a few more 1-2-grow pots last week. I was going to do some replanting in the 60-P but I'm now thinking maybe I'll keep the HC carpet in that tank and change to a new one in this. I ordered some staurogyne repens and the pots look so good I think it would be really well suited to a carpet in this tank.

What do you think?

7715868622_39e181ba3c_z.jpg

Im sure your trimmings will enjoy their new home ;) That Stauro looks AMAZING ! Who did you order from ? I may order some for mine. Rob, it would make a great carpet but it needs hacking right back when you trim so that the regrowth is nice and low still :thumbup:

those 1-2 grow look delicious

Back