• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Rob's 300L Perigean Beach

Re: Rob's 300L (to be named)

ok, so thinking ahead and researching and I need help!

I'll be having sterbai at the bottom, rummy nose tetras and probably discus in the middle but I can't find anything for the top levels.

First thought was hatchets but they jump and I can't think of anything else. Any ideas for top level fish that like it warm, soft and acidic?

Thanks!

Freshwater butterfly fish :wideyed: Cool fish but i dont know if theyll jump out too, they can take flight but unsure they do regularly. Also maybe a little too big but interesting fish.
Thought about golden panchax and rocket killis but these like it cooler so no good, also the rockets maybe a little small.
Stuck really...will need more thought.
Maybe you dont need anything, dont want it too busy with discus anyway, they are the stars of the show :)
Cheerio,
Ady.

African Butterflies are awesome fish but do jump all the time, lid only tanks im afraid. They just look so cool and permanently grumpy :lol:
I think hatchets would work and look great, i added perspex triangles to the corners of my tank and no jumpers since... its an old amano trick i believe, i guess most fish jump from the corners?
:thumbup:

Celebes rainbowfish tend to like it higher up... as do a lot of the dwarf gouramie esp if theres floating plant cover.

Ah those butterflies are really interesting fish. My LFS has them and they are fascinating.
Not too keen on rainbows (for no real reason) but have always like dwarf gouramis. Possibly at the upper limit of temperature for them though. Tank will be 28-29 degrees. V attractive fish though. I'd like a few of those.

Hmm, food for thought!

Another exciting day today. Just checked the tracking info and my lights are out for delivery! I can get a proper move on now!

In other news I was looking at the tank before I left for work and there is a snail in it! It must have looked across the room from the 60-P and thought it was time to move up the property ladder. Little sod!

I'll be leaving work early today then to go and set my lights up and get going with the planting!

Lights arrived today. Looks like the delivery company decided to play football with them though, which I'm not too pleased about. One of them is beyond repair which is a real shame.
However the other one works fine and is now hung and ready to rock! It's a little dented on the corners but it will do for now and at least get me planting.
Sometimes I hate couriers. Not all bad but others just take no pride in their jobs.

yeah total bummer. From the consumer point of view its not so much the damaged product, but the time it takes to get it replaced :(

I know! I think some truck driver must have been bored and decided to kick things about! Or the truck wasn't loaded properly and they fell hard enough to bend quite thick steel!

Still, it's nice to see some light over the tank, even if it is half what I want. Watch this space. I'm sure NA will claim and fix the problem. They seem very good so far.

How disappointing Rob :( Hope you kicked some a$$ mate. If DHL can bring a glass aquarium across Europe to me I think any courier company should be able to manage a metal light fixture. Looking forward to what pics you can get done though.

You have no idea Chris! This scape is beiing done partly for me/fun but partly for a very specific purpose and now I am going to be playing catchup which is v annoying.
Yeah, you would think anybody would be able to deliver it. It's a well made, sturdy item as well. Certainly not cheap and flimsy.

At least I have one in working order, so I can get started. Looks like replacements are on the way asap too, so kudos to NA for being on the ball. I've been very impressed by them so far. Even had a call from the operations manager to apologise.

So great customer service so far.

Anyway on to the fun stuff! This evening I shall be emptying all the water and planting up! The manzi is staying down unaided, so can get the scape exactly how I want it. CO2 system and one light (which is still powerful with twin fluros and 150w MH - it's like midday sun!) are all timed and primed.

The NA cabinet is great for working in the tank. The slide-out draws are very handy for keeping tools and trays of plants on. No bending over or dragging furniture round any more. I like the fact that the top of the tank is chest height too. Makes it so much easier to work on/in.

I'll get a few in progress shots if I remember.

pariahrob said:
I'll get a few in progress shots if I remember.
you better! :)

:text-coolphotos:

Just need to seem 'em now :)

I'll post them when they are done!

Current task is to decide on the best way to create some hiding places for plec(s). I don't even know if I will have a plec but I think I probably will and I'd rather get something together cave-wise, now than have to mess around later. I'd like to have something that is part of the scape and looks a bit more natural than a coconut shell or flower pot.

What do you think? A flat piece of stone with side supports embedded in the substrate? That's what I'm thinking now.

a pleco will relish trashing your sand boarder :lol: i wouldnt worry to much about a cave though, if heavily planted he will find his own spot,when i tried for my gold nugget he totally ignored it and set up camp elsewhere.
Any ideas which pleco you have a fancy for mate?

Ooh, well, I might try to encourage a location but I'm happy for fish to find their own place in the tank.

I'm not sure on type yet. Amazon Aquatics, my LFS, has a good selection of L numbers, so I will go and talk to them soon. No hurry though. Not even fully planted yet!

rummy nose tetras and sterbai will go in first. Then a plecs if I get any, followed by discus. I'm looking at stendker pigeon blood, turqs and cobalts for some nice splashes of colour.

I'm tempted by a pair of fire red apistogrammas as well.

Ok then all you L number experts. Name (or number) me some nice, warm soft water plecs that won't eat all my plants.

Hi all,
Ok then all you L number experts. Name (or number) me some nice, warm soft water plecs that won't eat all my plants.
Peckoltia compta (formerly L134) are the usual choice.

Most people don't recommend the more rheophilic plecs Hypancistrus etc. for discus tanks, because of flow and aeration issues. If you understand aeration it shouldn't be a problem. Have a look at "Apistomaster's" posts on Planet Catfish, he breeds Discus, P. compta and L333, and is pretty knowledgeable.
It is my common practice to keep Peckoltia and Hypancistrus in my Discus display tanks and growing them out to their breeding size. I mostly use L134 or Hypancistrus contradens and Hypancistrus sp L333 as my bottom fish. The H. zebra and L260 are too shy and tend to become starved when kept in community settings.
If you don't mind coming over to Corsham to collect it, you can have my Hypancistrus L333 for £15, it is about 2/3 grown and I assume it is male, and I've had it since it was "small fry" (it came mixed in with L129 juveniles that Mike at AA had some of ~ 2 years ago). I only ever see its tail, but if you shine a torch into his cave he is quite photogenic.

cheers Darrel

Back