• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Roma 200 filtration

MrJames

As I have a nice 200L tank to get planted I need to decide on equipment I currently have a tetratec ex600 and hydor 200w inline heater with a 12mm in / out.which I know the filter is too small.

I've already decided I want to run a Co2 reactor on a separate pump was looking at using a DIY filter housing one unless anyone has a better way?

I looked at the APS filters as the price looked good but quality and performance problems have put me off buying one so I need some advice on a good filter, pump and powerheads for the tank to hit the 10x turnover of 2000L.

Many thanks :)

I have the same tank and using the original fluval 205 along with an aquamanta efx 400 I picked up nearly new on here. Been great for me for the money. its rated at 1400 lph would be supprised if I was getting 1000 lph out of it but seems to work well through my c02 reactor

Ant

I wanted to go with a separate pump for the Co2 reactor as it'll give me more control over it plus I'll be using it for water changes.

Hello,
Nothing less than an FX5 or Eheim 20XX will do for this size tank if it will be CO2 injected.

Cheers,
wow so everyone who owns a 200l tank has to rush out and buy a fluval fx5?
i think you have been sucked into the matrix this time clive ;)
alvin

An FX5? Maybe a little overkill if I use a pump for the Co2 reactor that'll give more water movement through the tank as well.

Tempted to get the Tetra EX1200 and run it and the EX600 it's only got a very slightly lower flow rate than the JBL but can get it for about £50 cheaper so not sure yet

Right so as I can't find anything worth the extra money over the EX1200 I'll get one of those and maybe upgrade the smaller ex600 at some point, now I just need to decide on what circulation pump :)

There are quite a number of reasons I wouldn't get the FX5 I'd rather have 2xTetra EX1200's than a single FX5

In relation to planted tanks, YES, in exactly the same way that everyone who owns 2 feet has to rush out to buy at a pair of shoes.

Cheers,
oh now i understand
you must rush out and buy the best adidas trainers, when a pair of umbro from sports direct would do the same job
thanks clive
alvin

The fx5 is the most flow you can get for the money in my opinion. The flow honestly isn't a massive white water torrent like everyone thinks! The outlets are very wide so the flow doesn't have much velocity. If the outlets were really small then it would be a torrent.

For a start I couldn't even get the FX5 in my cabinet unless I braced the front and removed the centre section which I really don't want to do.

I can't fit mine in my cabinet it's no big deal, it just sits on the floor in the corner! It's the best thing I ever bought for my tank, zero algae and lush growth! Oh and I forgot, spotlessly clean water and happy fish!

My tank is in an alcove there isn't anywhere next to it that it could go.

Go for the 2 ex1200's put both with spraybars and your away

Or re mortgage and get the ehiem equivalent of the fx5 :) :)

Hmmmmm I hate to admit it but ceg might be right after a lot of digging and testing my EX600 which managed a rather low 200LPH not sure the tetra will be up to the job, so need to look and see if I can modify the cabinet to fit the FX5 if not might have to look at eheim.

Back