• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Roots Dyed Dark - Low Tech Blackwater (updated 08-04-14)

And a male

aqa3areh.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Awesome tank!!! I love how you, UKAPS low-tech guys, demonstrate that low tech tanks can be not only healthy tanks but also very attractive from the aesthetically point of view. I mean, if you google low tech tank, the results are not always pleasing aesthetically... at least compared with good high tech ones. But for these tanks most people won't tell the difference.

Why don't create in the tank gallery section a good selection of these low tech tanks? Selected by moderators, maybe voted? I can well imagine at least a large dozen of brilliant tanks there. I also like George farmers idea for one thread in which you include a collection of pictures and then the specs of the tank... Just that.

Jordi

Last edited:
Looks better every time Lee, I've got a lot of respect for aquarists like you who spend so much time and effort in creating the right conditions for these special fish. I moan to the Mrs about having to chuck two buckets of tap water in my tank twice a week :lol:. Nice one mate.

Awesome tank!!! I love how you, UKAPS low-tech guys, demonstrate that low tech tanks can be not only healthy tanks but also very attractive from the aesthetically point of view. I mean, if you google low tech tank, the results are not always pleasing aesthetically... at least compared with good high tech ones. But for these tanks most people won't tell the difference.

Why don't create in the tank gallery section a good selection of these low tech tanks? Selected by moderators, maybe voted? I can well imagine at least a large dozen of brilliant tanks there. I also like George farmers idea for one thread in which you include a collection of pictures and then the specs of the tank... Just that.

Jordi

Thanks for the kind words jordi :). You have some great ideas there mate. Have you spoken to one of the moderators about them?

Looks better every time Lee, I've got a lot of respect for aquarists like you who spend so much time and effort in creating the right conditions for these special fish. I moan to the Mrs about having to chuck two buckets of tap water in my tank twice a week :lol:. Nice one mate.

Thanks James, great comment :). I have to be honest though, this tank has been far easier to manage than my high tech efforts. Maintenance is pretty minimal really, and I haven't had to do any trimming since start up 4 months ago :). It's a pleasure, haha!

Update time! Its been a while now since i last posted on the progress of this tank. Since my last update the tank has developed a little, and there has also been a few slight changes to the original idea.

I've been struggling to keep my TDS low, probably due to the fertilisers i am adding. As you will know this can affect parosphormenus egg development. The high TDS has been the trade off with this tank as it was always intended to be my main show tank, and i'd like it to continue looking healthy and lush. With that in mind i am planning to set some smaller breeding tanks up, specifically for the paros. Because this tank is no longer intended to be a breeding tank i have since added a small number of Chocolate gourami, these are such a great little fish and very interesting to watch, the Mrs loves them too :).

New plant additions have been:

Cyperus helferi
Hydrocotyle tripartita
Lilaeopsis novea-zealandiae
Micranthemum umbrosum

I tried to get a decent picture with the DSLR, i'm still not great with the camera though, haha!

Hope you like it!?

4_zpsc2e1fadf.jpg
Simply...awesome...

Looking great lee. Those fish will be very happy.
Seems like I've set a big trend off with the chocolate Gouramis/paro set ups lol.
If it's low tech just reduce the fert dosing and that'll keep your tds down.
My paros bred in tds 187 in my chocolate box and the chocolate lake is currently 196 yet have a pair of paro breeding in a power head (which is no longer used). I've switched back to low tech now because of it.

You'll never catch them all in their with out pulling it all up. They have a nack of going almost completely transparent and invisible.
Trust me.

Tom took out all his paro a couple of years ago or so he thought and yet found one cheekily still in his tank on breakdown and that was with 2 rescapes in.

Back