• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Roots

nanocube

Hello
Anyone used holly or ilex roots in aquarium?They are suitable or not?Ive just found some nice pieces for my new aqascape.
Thanks
Tom

Google translate shows that ilex mean this same what holly and also translator says that ilex=evergreen oak.I know its a bit odd but this is google.
Thanks
Tom

A few months back I was searching for what woods can be used and did come across a shrimp tank that used holly, I think the general consensus is that most woods are ok but the must be 100% dry and dead, the only thing is some wood will degrade a lot faster than others but with this being a relatively new area in the hobby theres very little concrete evidence so its always going to be a bit of trail and error

Mark

I might would make sure any wood was completely dry/dead. And just to be safe,,might plop it in a bucket or tub of water for a few day's to see if it leaches any protein's or creates surface scum or suddenly begin's growing fungi.
Would stay away from any wood from sappy tree's like spruce or pine,or grapewood.I know from expierience that these will have negatve effect on water clarity and possibly gum up filter material.

Back