• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Rotala Mexicana Goias

zozo

Has anybody grow this little bugger emersed? o_O I'm already trying a year, from some submersed growth i got via private collectors, to get it going emersed. But till now i only managed to get very little tiny growth dying again when you look at it.

If so?? :) Care to elaborate on it's secret?? :)

This is realy the most little dificult bugger to get going emersed from a submersed strain. :rage:

Hi roy, it's a difficult plant allround, even submersed it's very demanding and needs special care and lots of light.
I expected it to to better emersed but that's not the case, 90% dies when out of the water and what survives is very weak and dies with the first draft it gets.
I haven't tried it as epiphyte, maybe i should put some on sphagnum??

This is why Rot. mex. 'Goias' was dismissed for Tropica production, after I tested it years ago; it is just not "reliable" enough, for majority of aquarists to get succes. It has too specific requirements.
Emerse growth is - like you experience - only possible, if very perfect conditions concerning humidity and aeration are met. Otherwise plant will dry out or die from fungi attack.
Submerse growth is really not that "impossible", if your water is not too alkaline, and light and furts is sufficient. Getting the colouration and carpeting growth is the tricky part...........

Back