• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Round and round we go

Gill

Going to try my hand at a baby bio-orb 15l. Pick it up on Friday evening after work.
Going to house my Sulawesi shrimp and micro crabs. Horned nerites, etc.
Fish wise not sure at the moment, but will decide later. Want to stay pygmy size, so will see what comes up on lists. Might stick to rasboras but not sure.
Going to supercharge the filtration for great aeration and circulation. Still going to use a base of the grog that comes with it. Lighting has been upgraded so might just add some extra led.
Hardscape wise going to pebbles of varying sizes covered in mosses and fissidens. And anubias which I love to use. Not going to use many stems. Going to stick to 1 type, which will personapica. Which I have been loving of late.
Foreground will be covered in hairgrass. And no substrate will be seen.
Want to create a real simple feel with emphasis on the scape. And creating lots of grazing for the shrimp and crabs.
I am going to add pipefish to this eventually dependant on which ones I can get. I think they would look very nice in this. If I can get how I picture it in my head.

Sounds great, I've thought about getting some micro crabs but not sure how well they would go along with the crystals in my walled tank. If I put them in my main tank I'd worry they'd disappear under the bogwood and I'd never see them again, if they bred that wouldn't be a problem as they would eventually appear out from under it. Have you managed to get yours to multiply?

Pipefish, that's interesting, made me go read up as I thought they were salt only (apparently mostly prefer brackish river estuaries, I assume a bit like Ammano shrimp), appears there is a true freshwater one out there also. Live food eater only, so apparently difficult to keep, this got me thinking as my Anubia Walled Shrimp tank is stuffed with Ostracods and nothing is in there to keep the population down, a pipefish may fit this gap but I worry if it ran out of Ostracods would it start on the shrimplets, I also worry my tanks too small to keep one in.

:)

There are quite a few freshwater pipefish, but they are hard to come by. And yes live food or ocean nutrition BBS soup via pipette. Micro crabs do spend a lot of time out and about foraging- and love to forage in the roots of salvinia and frogbit

A few people have raised them, I am sure it was over on tpt

I thought you already had pipe fish?. 15l is too small for anything other than shrimp to live in full time. By the time you have put substrate and some plants in there will be even less space. Why do you insist on cramming fish into tiny spaces?

Last edited:
Pipefish were a while ago, 15l is plenty for me the way I stock

It might be plenty for you but not for the fish! Plus the shape of the bio orb means very little actual foot print so even the shrimp will have little space. Animal welfare should figure into this somewhere in the planning process.

No has proven that they have bred micro crabs. People have said they have but have not shown any evidenct. Ive bred sharks btw.

Back