• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Sacha's emersed adventure

Sacha

So I have recently decided to venture into the world of Wabi- Kusa emersed growing.

Not 100% sure I can justify calling this Wabi- Kusa, considering I have not used a Wabi- Kusa substrate ball, but it is emersed nonetheless.

I am using a baby biorb (15L):

2pq9rb9.jpg

I decided to use TMC Aquagro Nutrasoil (black) substrate:

2nqcdq8.jpg

The substrate itself looks like little balls (granules) of soil:

zt918w.jpg

I covered the bottom of the bowl with soil, and then I poured in some RO/DI (TDS 0), until the soil was saturated with water. I also filled up a spray bottle (mister) with the same water.

...Then I planted it!

2u4j42p.jpg

2isw5jt.jpg

2uhsl5c.jpg

2rvyjkj.jpg

In the background, behind the wall of pebbles, the tallest plant is Ludwigia Palustris, and on the edges there is some Hygrophila Polysperma. These were taken as cuttings from my main tank.

The small foreground plant is Hemianthus Callitrichoides 'Cuba'. I used one whole pot of Tropica 1- 2- Grow!

At the moment I am using a desk lamp to light the tank. The bulb is an energy saving 9W lightbulb. Since it is energy saving, apparently that equates to 60W in real terms? Either way, it should be sufficient?

Anyway, that's the first chapter in my emersed adventure. It doesn't look like much so far, but hopefully it will grow out in the next few weeks. I intend to use this bowl as a sort of propagator, and I will use it to grow difficult plants, like HC, and will eventually take portions of those plants from this bowl to put into the main tank.

I am very grateful for the help I have received on this forum so far, and I welcome any suggestions or criticisms.

Thanks for stopping by!

It is already fully sealed, with the biorb lid. (The lid was off for the photos). If you see the first picture, the lid is on in that one.
The lid seals the bowl nearly entirely. There is just a very small opening uncovered. Is that ok or do I need to seal that too?

The soil is already nutritious, would I need additional fertiliser too though? What lighting would you recommend I use?

Back