• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

SAE eating rotala?

I noticed my Rotalla looking worse for wear the other day on new growth. I then happen to catch one of my SAE nibbling at the tops of the Rotalla. Has anyone else had experience with SAE eating rotalla? They are really starting to make me want to rehome, as I can’t keep any moss around or hydrocotyle which I love.

Sounds odd to me- are you sure you have the true sae? I have all those plants and never seen SAE eat any only algae and various fish food!

I have a ton of moss and I have never seen them eat. Do you have enough algae in your aquarium?

my observation is that the can eat all sorts of food /algae’s but they do have an order of preference, something like ....general fish food, algae wafers, soft algae’s like diatoms.....and if nothing else they might eat BBA and a guess moss

Are you sure it definite damage or were they maybe eating biofilm. Mine never did this . Try to weigh up which tablet food they really like add a few vegatable flakes

Are you sure it definite damage or were they maybe eating biofilm. Mine never did this . Try to weigh up which tablet food they really like add a few vegatable flakes
I’m going to have to try this or rehome them, because I just watched one eating my trident fern!!!! Of all things to eat. I watched him eat a chunk, and I noticed some leaves had ratty ends that I thought maybe was deficiency of some sort but when I watched him chomp a piece out of a healthy tip my suspicion was confirmed.

All l can think is maybe they done a good job on the algae and mention you have a few maybe add a bit of blanched spinach or something daily and see what happens. There is mention of on another forum them (algae feeders) like various fresh fruit as well

Back