• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Sagittaria subulata Issue

mark4785

I recently introduced some Sagittaria subulata plants to my planted aquarium, in fact they were only planted around 4 days ago. They are now starting to turn brown at their tips, while other strands are going transparent. Do these plants wilt on initial introduction to a new aquarium or in response to liquid carbon being added?

I have continual problems keeping many plants alive in my aquarium due to issues with flow. I had massive algae outbreaks ranging from blue-green algae, black beard and green dust algae on my plants and aquarium glass until somebody on this forum recommended I lower the light levels by entirely covering the waters surface with amazon frogbit. Ever since introducing these floating plants, I have never had any algae issues, but the other problem involving plants dieing has persisted. I don't know whether a co2 water flow issue is killing the Sagittaria subulata's or a naturally occurring wilting phase.

Thankfully, just a few moments ago, I replaced my old co2 diffuser with a Up Atomiser co2 diffuser due to the fact that the co2 bubbles being created were too large for the power heads to blow around (they would just instantly float to the surface). The Up Atomiser, however, is creating a fine mist of smaller co2 bubbles which are traveling around the aquarium well. Hopefully this will stop the plant die back for good!

Any further tips, and feedback regarding the wilting issue would be greatly appreciated.

Aquarium specification:
Lighting: 2 x 24 HO Powerglo fluorescent bulbs (Amazon Frogbit buffers this light source)
co2: Yes
Capacity: 120 litres.
Plants that grow well: various mosses and cryptocoryne plants. Others rot or break a part NOT due to algae attachment.
Fertiliser: Yes; EI dosing (7-8 ppm of nitrate/phosphate fertiliser added and TPN liquid added on alternating days).

Hi
As far as we are aware the Valli's species don't take kindly to liquid carbon.
Best if you stop using it and do regular water changes..to help them recover.
hoggie

hogan53 said:
Hi
As far as we are aware the Valli's species don't take kindly to liquid carbon.
Best if you stop using it and do regular water changes..to help them recover.
hoggie

Ahh right, I didn't realize it was a part of the Vallis family. I have no luck with keeping Vallis; they turn brown and frail and eventually I am left with 10mm dark green leaves that you can only really see with a magnifying glass.

Hi
They are superficially similar species...but Ive found they react adversely to liquid carbon also.
Maybe someone can give us some more info on the differences.
You could add Mgso4 to your dosing regime.
Cheers
hoggie

hogan53 said:
Hi
They are superficially similar species...but Ive found they react adversely to liquid carbon also.
Maybe someone can give us some more info on the differences.
You could add Mgso4 to your dosing regime.
Cheers
hoggie

Ahh ok.

Is 'Mgso4' Magnesium sulphate?

Back