• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Sail infested intake bay, how to fix?

Brufordx

Seedling
Hi, I have an outdoor koi pond filtered using an in take bay. First year fine no apparent issues, subsequent year snail infested. The pond isn't the issue, the koi seem to keep the population in check, it's the bay itself, positively encrusted.

Firstly any suggestions of products that I can use to treat the bay (isolated from the pond while being treated)?

Secondly how can I prevent a repeat infestation? Or maybe an annual treatment may be needed?

Any guidance greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

Hi all,
Welcome to UKAPS,
Secondly how can I prevent a repeat infestation? Or maybe an annual treatment may be needed?
Why do you need to get rid of them? Are they interfering with the water flow? If they aren't? I'd look on them as a positive as "tank janitors".
The pond isn't the issue, the koi seem to keep the population in check, it's the bay itself, positively encrusted.
Scrape them off and chuck them back in the pond for the Koi? Physical removal is a lot less problematic than attempting to use a molluscicide, which has the potential to do a lot more harm than good, mainly by causing an ammonia spike.

They will be a continuing "problem", aquatic snails are really good at finding ponds, one in particular, the <"Wandering Pond Snail"> (Radix balthica), is an absolute expert at it.

cheers Darrel

In my nature pond the snails are EVERYWHERE. They get in the pump cage, the filter, the pipe work. I just leave them be and chuck them back in the pond when I do filter maintenance.

They don’t seem to do any harm.

Back