• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Sand cleaning

curefan

Hi,
Im in the process of setting up a planted tank with a sand path running from front to back. The rest of the tank will be planted.
I have never used sand before and am not sure of the best way to clean it....some say just stir it up on water changes, but then the sand will just spread into the planted areas!!
I heard you can just poke into it and it will release all nasties, and flatten it out again after?? Will this do?

Thanks, Dave.

As long as sand is not over two inches, you would not need to poke it or sift it.
Some worry about undisturbed sand producing hydrogen sulfide,while other's say that once this gas makes contact with oxygen in the water, it is harmless.
I have a couple sand tanks with depth close to three inches, and have not bothered the sand for close to two year's.
Plant's can transport oxygen to roots, and this too I believe makes worries about gases moot point in anything but possibly very deep sand bed.
Trumpet snails,loaches,cory's,anything that shuffles around on the sand would also prevent the anaerobic areas from forming, or at least it works for me.

Back