• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Sand Mix

the abrasive action relates to inserting cuttings into the sand, the slight rough edges of the sand abrades the edges of the stem cutting, helping roots to form at that point. still could be a problem for corydora...

Alastair said:
I just had a look at this and thought it was a good price, but if your keeping corys etc I doubt it would be suitable as it states

"Add Horticultural Sand to your cuttings compost and the abrasive action of the sand on the stems will encourage faster and better roots to form."

The abrasive part changed my mind for me.
Horticultural sand is usually lime free so that it does not alter the pH of the soil. Apart from that, it is no different than any other sand. In this case, it is abrasive compared to just soil, as Darren says, but all sand is abrasive in itself just because it is hard. Look at it this way, any type of sand rubbed against (aquarium) glass will leave scratches.
The real danger would be if the sand has been coated in weedkiller or fertiliser, but that is quite unlikely and can easily be found out from the manufacturer.

You might also be interest to know that "sharp sand" that builders used is just quartz sand (which we can pay quite a lot for, if buying with the "for aquarium use" label) of various grades, so "sharp" just means that it has some larger pieces in it, not that the sand itself is any sharper and is quite suitable for aquaria.

I've got a bag of the Horticultural Sand now if anyone wants me to take a picture to see what it looks like.

Back