• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Sandy Nook . . .

Love that this is coming true! They can clearly sense a bigger tank in sight and are busy populating it for you :)

It seems that way, I just wish they'd waited a couple of months! 😂 The five of them do fit fine in my 60cm/100L, but they do get a bit feisty with each other, especially at feeding times, so I can't wait to see them cruising around a 150cm/400L with all the extra space available!

It seems that way, I just wish they'd waited a couple of months! 😂 The five of them do fit fine in my 60cm/100L, but they do get a bit feisty with each other, especially at feeding times, so I can't wait to see them cruising around a 150cm/400L with all the extra space available!
would they be fine in a 45l? footprint is 50x30cm. seriously fish, says minimum 60x30. so I think it should be fine. also how many? 1,2,3,5?

would they be fine in a 45l? footprint is 50x30cm. seriously fish, says minimum 60x30. so I think it should be fine. also how many? 1,2,3,5?

I would say you're pushing it a bit to be fair at that size. Maybe if it was a 45cm cube, but definitely not a 45 litre.

You could get away with a 60 x 30 (60 litre +), and perhaps a 45 cube, but you need to create plenty of broken lines of site - sometimes they like to group together, sometimes they seem to hate the sight of one another, so you need space for individuals to get away - its more a behavioural thing than a fish size thing that you need to account for - they're not large fish, nor are they fast swimmers (unless they're being chased off) - their movement is very slow, calculated and seemingly intelligent - but they need space from one another. They'd be great in a biotope tank with loads of wood to resemble tree rots, leaf litter and black water - but I like plants too much to go full biotope!

I originally had six, but lost one so ended up with 5. They seem to have been fine in that number, and its enough to diffuse aggression. Ideally I'd have liked 8 but I think that would have been too many for my 60 x 40 x 40 tank.

Managed to catch another 7 this evening and transferred to the shrimp tank, dunking a glass under the floaters, like a child pond dipping, has proved much more efficient - I hope I’m doing the right thing moving them over?

Is there any fry food I should be adding for them - I’d need off the shelf stuff if anyone can recommend anything, as I’ve no time to culture infusoria?

At what stage should I be attempting to give them BBS, how big do they need to be?

I would say you're pushing it a bit to be fair at that size. Maybe if it was a 45cm cube, but definitely not a 45 litre.

You could get away with a 60 x 30 (60 litre +), and perhaps a 45 cube, but you need to create plenty of broken lines of site - sometimes they like to group together, sometimes they seem to hate the sight of one another, so you need space for individuals to get away - its more a behavioural thing than a fish size thing that you need to account for - they're not large fish, nor are they fast swimmers (unless they're being chased off) - their movement is very slow, calculated and seemingly intelligent - but they need space from one another. They'd be great in a biotope tank with loads of wood to resemble tree rots, leaf litter and black water - but I like plants too much to go full biotope!

I originally had six, but lost one so ended up with 5. They seem to have been fine in that number, and its enough to diffuse aggression. Ideally I'd have liked 8 but I think that would have been too many for my 60 x 40 x 40 tank.
yeah, I think I'll go for honey gouramis because they seem a bit more peaceful.

Managed to catch another 7 this evening and transferred to the shrimp tank, dunking a glass under the floaters, like a child pond dipping, has proved much more efficient - I hope I’m doing the right thing moving them over?

Is there any fry food I should be adding for them - I’d need off the shelf stuff if anyone can recommend anything, as I’ve no time to culture infusoria?

At what stage should I be attempting to give them BBS, how big do they need to be?
Congratulations!

They're not the same but I've raised a few honey gourami in a bucket. Why are you taking them out of that tank though? They've done the hard part now, they look a decent size, should be fine in there?

I just fed mine crushed up bugbites. I don't like training them to be fussy 👍

Congratulations!

They're not the same but I've raised a few honey gourami in a bucket. Why are you taking them out of that tank though? They've done the hard part now, they look a decent size, should be fine in there?

I just fed mine crushed up bugbites. I don't like training them to be fussy 👍
I should say the only reason I took mine out is because they were new fry and were getting sucked into the filter and dad was having to save every single one - I'd have left them otherwise. Well done! I'm really tempted by chocos, they seem like my kind of fish.

Why are you taking them out of that tank though? They've done the hard part now, they look a decent size, should be fine in there?

To stop them getting eaten really, and enable me to target feed them. I’ve never raised any fry before, and wasn’t planning on these ones. so I’ve no real clue what I’m doing to be honest.

Well the 7 odd Chocolate fry are doing well so far in the shrimp tank. They’re all now happily eating BBS, and actually actively hunting them rather than sitting there waiting for the shrimp to come to them which they did to start with. The growth speed is quite considerable, they must be around 50% bigger already.

EDFBCE3A-5F52-4CA0-953E-07BB8E9B22AA.jpeg

Last edited:
there hasn't been a full tank shot in a while @Wookii ! I'm dying to see what it looks like.

I’ll try and take one tonight mate - though given the massive crypt melt I had, the fact I’ve got several plants stuffed in for temporary storage, and all the soil that has migrated up through the sand that I can’t be bothered to vacuum out yet, it’s looking far from its best! 😅

also, forgot to ask, how is the aeschynomene fluitans to grow? I've got some in the mail that should be coming soon. looking back your tank has influenced my tank A LOT:oops:. gouramis, phyllanthus fluitans, aeschynomene fluitans....I've even got ember tetras lol. after all, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery

gorgeous!
also, forgot to ask, how is the aeschynomene fluitans to grow? I've got some in the mail that should be coming soon. looking back your tank has influenced my tank A LOT:oops:. gouramis, phyllanthus fluitans, aeschynomene fluitans....I've even got ember tetras lol. after all, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery

Very kind of you to say mate!

Aeschynomene Fluitans has proven pretty easy to grow. It willingly throws out new shoots from cuttings. The only things to watch out for a) it can sometimes sink a little below the surface, and once the leaves submerge they will die off. It grows best with the main stem on the surface, and b) it doesn’t like being handled too much; a few times when I’ve handled it too much moving it in and out of the tank during maintenance, and it throws a tantrum and drops its leaves.

What a nice tank you have, the idea of using perspex as a barrier is really inventive. Really cool that you have gourami fry as they are pretty hard to keep ive experienced. What is your water change regime ?

Thanks for the kind words! I have my tank on fully automated water changes, so change around 20% a day. I could probably reduce that to 10% a day, as I no longer have many fast growing plants, other than the floaters.

The fry are doing really well now, and some are pushing 10mm long. It's difficult to get a count on them, but I think I have about 11 in the shrimp tank now, and a possible unknown number in the main tank.

It’s difficult to get a decent photo with my phone, but they are starting to look like perfect miniatures of their parents:

A061E6BF-1728-43FF-8EEC-94DF6EAD883B.jpeg

61895B67-0A5D-46B5-85D7-526B848058B2.jpeg

Back