• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Scapers Tank Aquascape Attempt (Looking for C&C)

So I got my lily pipes fitted and what can I say they are garbage.. the water hardly creates a current it just goes straight down and makes a mess. The Intake gaps are also to small, they don't create much suction at all.. Not impressed and wondering if anyone has a better solution?

What lilly pipes did you get? And what filter intake pipes?
I bought these last year when I first got the tank, they are cheap Chinese ones cost me about £40.. Both glass.
Glass spray bar from one of our sponsors?
I wish I had of got one of these instead, have you tried one? What is the flow like? I have to turn the filter way down atm or sand goes everywhere with the lilly pipes connected. There is no flow at all not enough to reach the other side of the tank and push co2 and this is by no means a big tank.

I use home made clear acrylic spray bars. They do a great job. My filters disturb substrate with open end inlets.

I bought these last year when I first got the tank, they are cheap Chinese ones cost me about £40.. Both glass.

I wish I had of got one of these instead, have you tried one? What is the flow like? I have to turn the filter way down atm or sand goes everywhere with the lilly pipes connected. There is no flow at all not enough to reach the other side of the tank and push co2 and this is by no means a big tank.
I've got these spraybars flow is excellent
Apfuk is the sponsor that sells them

I've recently been speaking with John at apfuk about getting some custom bars and outflow pipes. Great guy, and really good customer service. Only reason I didn't order is because I got quite a bit of advice on here against the arrangement I was proposing, but will definitely be going with apfuk once I have a tried and tested design in acrylic,to get them made in glass

Time for an update! So I ripped the HC out it wasn't doing to great and was covered in algae. So I invested in three Armano shrimp to act as a clean up crew!
The front of the tank looked a little bare so I went ahead and ordered 3 tubs of Monte Carlo from aquariumgardens.co.uk and planted that at the front I personally think it looks awesome!

TswnUkF.jpg

Weird angle but here is another shot including the male Cockatoo!

aflLEJi.jpg

The flow on these cheap lily pipes is ridiculous so I asked my dad to try and widen the slots on the intake this all went well until I tried to clean it befor going back into the tank and broke one of the slots out, hopefully you can see this in the photo.

C3hTUG8.jpg

016sGoo.jpg

It doesn't look to bad but I am worried a CPD could get sucked in.. as for the outlet I am in two minds what to do.. considering heating it up on the gas stove and pulling the bell section out for a more directed flow rather than straight down, has anyone tried this?

I have noticed the odd brown spot on the leaves of some plants, what could be the cause of this? Is the tank lacking something?

And finally I am happy with how the tank is coming along but it still is not looking how I imagined hopefully the creator of this tank doesn't mind me posting his/her photo and by all means I would love to know the creator to fire a message or two. But what is it I am lacking to make my tank look more 'Jungle like' if that means anything.

ZeXaNGb.jpg

Still no luck with the Cockatoo Cichlids breeding either :(

Apologies for all of the questions, I am still a n00b.
Thanks again, Luke.

I really like your scape mate. What tank did you say this was? Do you think you might get better,more evenly distributed flow with a glass spray on the back pointing towards the front of the glass? It would also be barely visible in your scape. I'd be really interested to see how you get on heating and reshaping your lilly pipes though... that would be some awesome extreme DIY if you manage to pull it off :)

I really like your scape mate. What tank did you say this was? Do you think you might get better,more evenly distributed flow with a glass spray on the back pointing towards the front of the glass? It would also be barely visible in your scape. I'd be really interested to see how you get on heating and reshaping your lilly pipes though... that would be some awesome extreme DIY if you manage to pull it off :)
Thanks I appreciate it dude. It's the Dennerle Scapers Tank, 50 Litre so still classed as a nano but I havnt got the room for bigger at the minute! I Love the tank the dimensions are awesome. Thinking I need more/bigger rocks though.. I'm not to sure, because the wood does block a lot of flow, I am definitely going to try and bend the lily pipe, maybe tomorrow at some point! I will update afterwards for sure! Also thinking about ditching the large leaf plant at the back because it Isn't really to scale with the rest of the scape.

Quick Update:

Looking closer at the tank a good few of my plants gave green spots on them some of them have holes right through.
What could be the cause of this and how do I fix it?

Thanks, Luke.

EDIT:

Another Update.. tried to bend the glass lily pipe but the kitchen stove could not get it hot enough! next attempt will be the blow torch!

Also got a coconut cave in my LFS, and ordered catappa leave tea bags and live food to try and get the cockatoo in to breeding mode!

I have been looking at PH pens on eBay with the solution to calibrate it, has any body got any experience with these? or could recommend me a decent one?

Thanks, Luke.

Last edited:
Back