• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Scapers Tank flow issues, recommend me better lily pipes!

LukeDaly

Hey guys, have some serious issues with flow in my tank at the minute, it's the Dennerle 50L Scapers tank with a fluval 306.

I'm putting this down to the cheap Chinese lily pipes I currently have on the tank. I guess what I'm really asking is are lily pipes actually of any use or do they just look good?

My current lily pipes just seem to dump water straight down rather than out the way to create a current.

If I could get a glass version of the stock fluval 306 outlet I would be happy!

Help me sort this out guys losing plants due to this junk!

I can post photos from any angle requested to try and help get to the bottom of this.

Thanks, Luke.

Hi

As far as I can see in the canister manual your filter has a circulation capacity of 780 lph which should be enough for using the lily pipes (most people don't realize that you need a good filter to be able to move the water column properly with just one outlet).

But as you will probably know this pump performance is generally calculated without filter media, and most of the times the real number is 30-50% lower depending on your personal setup.

So... How much filter media do you have in the filter? Do you have any equipment installed in the hoses (heater, co2 reactor, etc.) that may reduce the flow?
Once you make sure it is not a problem of reduced flow, you can address your Chinese lily design problem... It can be this but lots of folks use Chinese lily pipes without problems. I have even tried a clear PVC one, bending a tube with a hair dryer and it is ugly as hell but works (it distributes the water as I want and I can use it to ripple the water surface). I am also using one in nano tank that is just a normal outflow not lily-shaped, just a standard round one... And it also does what I need. My guess is that we overestimate the design of lily pipes, direction of flow, vortex performance and so on.... and we forget about the basic things.

Jordi

Hi

As far as I can see in the canister manual your filter has a circulation capacity of 780 lph which should be enough for using the lily pipes (most people don't realize that you need a good filter to be able to move the water column properly with just one outlet).

But as you will probably know this pump performance is generally calculated without filter media, and most of the times the real number is 30-50% lower depending on your personal setup.

So... How much filter media do you have in the filter? Do you have any equipment installed in the hoses (heater, co2 reactor, etc.) that may reduce the flow?
Once you make sure it is not a problem of reduced flow, you can address your Chinese lily design problem... It can be this but lots of folks use Chinese lily pipes without problems. I have even tried a clear PVC one, bending a tube with a hair dryer and it is ugly as hell but works (it distributes the water as I want and I can use it to ripple the water surface). I am also using one in nano tank that is just a normal outflow not lily-shaped, just a standard round one... And it also does what I need. My guess is that we overestimate the design of lily pipes, direction of flow, vortex performance and so on.... and we forget about the basic things.

Jordi
Hey parotet! Thanks for taking the time to help me out! I'm using the standard media with the carbon swapped for purigen, I think your correct about lily pipe design it seems over complicated and I had MUCH better flow with the standard outlet! Do you mind showing me your lily pipe designs?

And I can upload a few photos of my tank if that would help determine what I need to best distribute my flow?

Thanks, Luke.

I'm using the standard media with the carbon swapped for purigen
So I recommend you to empty part of the filter media (leave just 1/3 of it). Yo don't need it, your healthy plants are really the best biological filter you can have, and you want your filter to deliver the maximum flow.

Do you mind showing me your lily pipe designs?
This is my lily pipe from AquaGro, actually the cheapest one I could find at the LFS... it works.
http://nascapers.es/tienda/lily-pipe-cristal-salida/1219-pipa-de-salida-12mm-aquagro.html

This is the other one I'm currently using in the nano tank, the standard outlet from JBL... works very well, with or without the flat adapter
https://www.jbl.de/en/aquatics-freshwater-products/detail/4593/jbl-outset-wide

Jordi

And this is the result of my poor DIY skills (ADA mini lily knock-off attempt using PVC)

52c5d0c1fa0c178905cd3a277395bd07.jpg

Amazingly it works as well as the previous ones at least in my nano... With a good flow coming from your filter nearly everything will work

Jordi

Good afternoon,
As Parotet said, all filter power capabliity announced by the construtor is not "real" (let´s use this word). Those announced measures are not taking in consideration the use of Lily Pipes, the elevation and curves of the tubes where the water has to pass by since the filter till inside the aqua and most important the weight of the water (phisics) "climbing" the tubes. And more little things that i´m not going to talk about now

You saw many friends of us and people around the world using combinations of Lilys with filters but most of them have to powerful filters with more than 1000 liter / hour. And why? To obtain enough force to make more water passing through those little slits (i don´t no what to name it) of the INflow. The INflow is the main Issue! Without a good inflow you can not expect to gain more flow inside the filter or in the Outflow! If you smash the Inflow you are smashing the filter capability. Again: Lily PIPE Inflow.

That´s why i´m recommending for you to buy the new "ADA New Lily Pipe V Inflow".A V-5 or a V-7 depending on the filter hose.

Myself:
I have a Eco pro 300 with 13 mm Lily Pipe in a 96 liter tank, with only 40 cm of tube and without the last compartment of the filter, the carbon, and still i had to buy a pump cause the Lily´s strangles the input. So for a while i had to return back to the green input of the original Eheim until i finally received my ADA New Lily Pipe. :)
I did a lot of experiments and came always to the same result. Inflow!

So.. they are beauty mas the water flow comes first!

This is my opinion.
HUg

So I recommend you to empty part of the filter media (leave just 1/3 of it). Yo don't need it, your healthy plants are really the best biological filter you can have, and you want your filter to deliver the maximum flow.

This is my lily pipe from AquaGro, actually the cheapest one I could find at the LFS... it works.
http://nascapers.es/tienda/lily-pipe-cristal-salida/1219-pipa-de-salida-12mm-aquagro.html

This is the other one I'm currently using in the nano tank, the standard outlet from JBL... works very well, with or without the flat adapter
https://www.jbl.de/en/aquatics-freshwater-products/detail/4593/jbl-outset-wide

Unfortunately my plants are not doing well at all and I am putting this down to flow, they are actually doing horrible if I am honest..
That AquaGro one is actually cheaper than what I paid for these Chinese ones!

Jordi
And this is the result of my poor DIY skills (ADA mini lily knock-off attempt using PVC)

52c5d0c1fa0c178905cd3a277395bd07.jpg

Amazingly it works as well as the previous ones at least in my nano... With a good flow coming from your filter nearly everything will work

Jordi

Your version looks as if it would work better than the ones I purchased! Standby by for some photos to try and help you understand whats going on.

Good afternoon,
As Parotet said, all filter power capabliity announced by the construtor is not "real" (let´s use this word). Those announced measures are not taking in consideration the use of Lily Pipes, the elevation and curves of the tubes where the water has to pass by since the filter till inside the aqua and most important the weight of the water (phisics) "climbing" the tubes. And more little things that i´m not going to talk about now

You saw many friends of us and people around the world using combinations of Lilys with filters but most of them have to powerful filters with more than 1000 liter / hour. And why? To obtain enough force to make more water passing through those little slits (i don´t no what to name it) of the INflow. The INflow is the main Issue! Without a good inflow you can not expect to gain more flow inside the filter or in the Outflow! If you smash the Inflow you are smashing the filter capability. Again: Lily PIPE Inflow.

That´s why i´m recommending for you to buy the new "ADA New Lily Pipe V Inflow".A V-5 or a V-7 depending on the filter hose.

Myself:
I have a Eco pro 300 with 13 mm Lily Pipe in a 96 liter tank, with only 40 cm of tube and without the last compartment of the filter, the carbon, and still i had to buy a pump cause the Lily´s strangles the input. So for a while i had to return back to the green input of the original Eheim until i finally received my ADA New Lily Pipe. :)
I did a lot of experiments and came always to the same result. Inflow!

So.. they are beauty mas the water flow comes first!

This is my opinion.
HUg

Hello! I made the slots on my current inflow bigger to try and counter this issue as I seen this as a problem from the get go! Could the fact I am using 17mm lily pipes effect the flow?

I will be sure to check them out! They are rather expensive so I just want to be sure as to what I can do to fix the problem.
But I agree Its probably inflow.

Just poured a cuppa, perfect! Thank you.

A few photos..

X2a4wb6.jpg

Lfu9KyX.jpg

As you can see this is barely reaching the front of the tank as the co2 is hardly moving..

nevsozY.jpg

Thanks!

The more larger are the Lilys more weight in the tubes, then you´ll need more power in the filter rotor to push all that water inside...
So with 17 mm lily or tube i should say that any filter under 900 Liter hour capacity, won´t do the job..

One other thing:
You may think that water comes out from the lily right straight in the direction you point it.
Wrong!
The water may go to the left or right as soon she comes out of the lily outflow, so you´ll need to repoint it.
If you took off some water of the tank till the outflow is below but still working you´ll see to where the water is going..

That´s another issue you should check.

The more larger are the Lilys more weight in the tubes, then you´ll need more power in the filter rotor to push all that water inside...
So with 17 mm lily or tube i should say that any filter under 900 Liter hour capacity, won´t do the job..

Maybe I should look at finding a way to down size my filter tubing then?

Just checked out that ADA lily pipe, £120!?!
What makes it so special? The slots in it look even smaller than the one I currently have.

Thanks, Luke.

And in my opinion that OUtflow should be in the right front corner where you have the Co2 Cheker.
But as you are having less flow i understand why you put it there.

No, you have the ADA V5 or V7 series Lily Pipe with 20 slits! Check how many you have in yours ;)

No, you have the ADA V5 or V7 series Lily Pipe with 20 slits! Check how many you have in yours ;)

10 o_O I guess you are right I am having a look at the Gush glassware at the minute, whats your opinion on it?

I´m gonna be honest. In this hobby the more we try to not spent money... more expensive is the bill in the end cause avoiding to buy what is reaaly good stuff..
It´s a lesson i´ve learned for many times.
You may try those Gush. I simple think that if it doesn´t work fine wou´ll get ...

10 o_O I guess you are right I am having a look at the Gush glassware at the minute, whats your opinion on it?
I've got a gush inflow and glass spraybar on my 2217 works very well in the 60l tank.
The gush inflow pipe doesn't noticeably reduce flow but the dirty shrimp guard does.
Make hoses as short and straight as possible then troubleshoot the in/outflows.

I've got a gush inflow and glass spraybar on my 2217 works very well in the 60l tank.
The gush inflow pipe doesn't noticeably reduce flow but the dirty shrimp guard does.
Make hoses as short and straight as possible then troubleshoot the in/outflows.

Hello mate,

Thanks for the input! How many slots is on the intake? And is it the 17mm or the smaller version?

This is for my 50L, is it a glass spray bar you are using? If so on the back or side of the tank, sorry for all the questions dude!

Thanks, Luke.

Hi luke
Couldn't say how many slots(shrimp guard in way) only "enough"IME. Its the 17mm inflow and 13mm cascade glass spraybar from apfuk.
You can diy an acrylic spraybar for around £6
Back or side in my tank is the same its a 40cm cube lol but full length on the back/longest side is usually best

Back