• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Scarlet badis female?

fishandting

Hi, I finally managed to locate somewhere selling Scarlet Badis near enough to me and I tried to buy a pair but I'm not sure if I was lucky to get a very rarely spotted female or not??

From my research online, including on here, it seems that females don't have any stripes or red colouration and I can't see any on this one but I'm not sure so thought I'd ask...

Any opinions or thoughts greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• PXL_20240229_193930649.MP.jpg
    PXL_20240229_193930649.MP.jpg
    5 MB · Views: 96
  • PXL_20240229_193936383.MP.jpg
    PXL_20240229_193936383.MP.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 67
Hard to tell - I have some females, and they are notably plumper in body shape than the males that are leaner but deeper bodied, also the females dorsal fin doesn't seem as prominent.

Yours looks like a small male that hasn't coloured up yet, to me. That said, I'm far from an expert and could be miles off. @louis_last has bred them (and supplied me with mine) and might know - though he's not around here much these days.

Hi, I finally managed to locate somewhere selling Scarlet Badis near enough to me and I tried to buy a pair but I'm not sure if I was lucky to get a very rarely spotted female or not??

From my research online, including on here, it seems that females don't have any stripes or red colouration and I can't see any on this one but I'm not sure so thought I'd ask...

Any opinions or thoughts greatly appreciated!
There is this too
Thread 'Has anyone ever seen a female Scarlet Badis?'
Has anyone ever seen a female Scarlet Badis?

Hi all,
also the females dorsal fin doesn't seem as prominent.
Does the female (or male even) Dario dario have a black mark at the anterior base to the dorsal fin? I know male Dario hysginon do.
Thread 'Has anyone ever seen a female Scarlet Badis?'
I still haven't seen one in the flesh, as far as I know. I have a perfect tank waiting for them, should I ever find a pair.

cheers Darrel

Thanks all for the replies, and for the thread recommendation.

I did have a look through - I'm still unsure, but leaning towards probably a male that hasn't coloured up yet. Time will tell I guess!

If it does turn out to be female, I'll be sure to update

Hi all,

Does the female (or male even) Dario dario have a black mark at the anterior base to the dorsal fin? I know male Dario hysginon do.

I still haven't seen one in the flesh, as far as I know. I have a perfect tank waiting for them, should I ever find a pair.

cheers Darrel
Just seen them @dw1305
Female Scarlet Badis ~ 1cm

Back