• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Schruz's Works - Wabi Kusa, Emersed setups, Planted tanks

Re: Schruz's Works

You really have made me want to venture into the wabi kusa business.

Your work is so beautiful, and I especially love the iwagumi. Stunning :D

AndersH said:
You really have made me want to venture into the wabi kusa business.

Your work is so beautiful, and I especially love the iwagumi. Stunning :D

I am pleased to hear that AndersH :) Trust me, once you make a wabi, you will want and actually realize an other one, and another one, and another one... And why not? Its much cheaper and requires less work then having multiple planted tanks. Although having multiple tanks is even better :p

Well, I have pruned the new wabi today. Ill post pics tom. or after tom. I pruned it for a not so obvious reason. I was a bit impatient and lifted the cover a touch too fast. This caused some individual stems to shrivel and die randomly. I've put back the plastic foil halfway, to provide some more humidity. I didn't want to cover the whole thing up again cause the plants are requiring much more CO2 at this stage. Instead I pruned and replanted. What this provides, other then a more lush appearance, is the increased ability for the wabi as a whole to stay warmer and thus keep and manage humidity. Its a bit like hair on our arms I reckon.

And while pruning I've noticed that all my Hygrophila araguia are starting to flower. So far I thought its new shoots, but by today the flower startings looked different enough so that I could tell they are not actually shoots :thumbup:

I'm one happy emersed nut :lol:

Great work again!

I assume you flood the tank in order to easily remove cuttings?

I'm an addict now, 3 emersed jars on my windowsill.

Morgan Freeman said:
Great work again!

I assume you flood the tank in order to easily remove cuttings?

I'm an addict now, 3 emersed jars on my windowsill.

I don't flood the wabis, I prune those without water, but I flood the emersed Iwagumi. Glad to hear you're in the club of wabi fans :)

Did you post pics somewhere? I'd like to see your and all other's stuff. What I saw in the emersed growth topic are mostly older works, though genuinely amazing! But I'd really like to see some new things. Or did I miss you're posted works?

They're nothing special, it's the thread titled "Pint and a Pot". That's two of them anyway, the other I've just started. I'm going to pick up a 20cm optiwhite cube soon and get something scaped with some seiru stone I have spare.

My Hygrophila sp. 'Araguiaia' flowers :thumbup: :D :D

6655375859_25c2d84bda_z.jpg
Araguia flower by András Tündik, on Flickr
6655375591_4579c092b2_z.jpg
Araguia flower by András Tündik, on Flickr

__________________________________________________________________________________

Today was the last day of my 50l scape :( I Took it to bits. One last sad pic:

araguia_flower-6.jpg

But the new project, the rescape, shall I say, will be cool if it will work out. ;) :)

Please share your photos, I'd really like to see them. Or are you publishing them in the emersed growth section?

Nothing to be shared yet mate. If anything grows in there, I'll share some pictures :)

Ugh, long time passed since I have posted in this journal. Quite a lot happened though.

First off, all is well with the new Wabi. It survived the first pruning a few weeks ago very well. Soon time for a new pruning.

6727675503_37ec151983_z.jpg
Large Wabi by András Tündik, on Flickr

___________________________________________________________________________________________________

As I said earlier, the cube tank in its old form is over, and the new setup has been up and running for 1 and a half weeks now. Its partly emersed and partly a high-tech nano.

Specs

Tank dimensions: 35x35x40 cm, 49 l capacity, only filled with 20 l though
Filtration: Eheim Professionel 2, 2026
CO2: Pressurized system with glass diffuser
Lighting: 2x26W PC, AN Solar Duo Boy and 1x18W PC Blau, 70W altogether
Substrate: ADA Power Sand Special, ADA NEW Amazonia, ADA NEW Amaonia Powder
Fertilizers: GreenAqua Micro and Macro according to EI, no EasyCarbo for this setup (wanna keep and breed Tiger shrimp)
Waterchange: Currently 50% every other day, and I'll see whether its fine to change just once a week, but I think this is gonna be a twice a week tank.
Hardscape: ADA Fuji rocks

Flora:

Emersed:
Uttricularia graminifolia
Hemianthus callitricoides 'Cuba'
Cypherus helferi
Eleocharis parvula
Hydrocotyle sp. 'Japan'
Vesicularia montagnei

Submersed:
Uttricularia graminifolia
Hemianthus callitricoides 'Cuba'
Lileaopsis brasiliensis
Blyxa japonica
Hydrocotyle sp. 'Japan'
Vesicularia montagnei

Fauna

Danio margaritatus
Caridina cantonensis sp. "Tiger"
Clithon corona

Fauna is not yet in there of course. The filter is completely matured. Its been running in the old tank and in a bucket since its death. :p Its flow rate is reduced with its built in regulator because of the small amount of water. Only the emersed corner is covered with plastic foil. I covered most of the tank in the beginning, except for the front 10 cm but the water warmed up to 30 celsius so I removed the foil quickly. Its a hard situation. The emersed area benefits from that warmth in the beginning, but it evidently hinders the submersed area... Right now, I chose to comprimise for the benefit of the submerged area. The emersed is doin OK but not at all as if it would be covered properly :/ We'll see. most plants survived the first week so I dont think there will be a big problem. As for the lights. 70 W is quite a lot for 20l I know, but the lamps are about 30 cm away from the water surface. The effect of so much light at such hight is not high intensity, but rather full coverage.

The moss is not yet visible on the rocks. I saw Amano in an ADA View video chop moss up on a cutting board as if it were parsley or something, than he sticked the mesh on his palms and stroked the Fuji stones. The moss pieces sticked on the surface of the stones and stayed in place even after the tank was filled with water. I tried it and it works! :D Although I'm expecting slower development from the moss because of the stress it must have received.

Pics:

powder-4.jpg

powder-3.jpg

One day old:

6727674157_2a80309cb2_z.jpg
Paludarium - no equipment by András Tündik, on Flickr
6723079859_2e8ce7ce4f_z.jpg
halfway-3 by András Tündik, on Flickr

One week old with Flickr boxes for the plants:

6766270287_b33ceb69bf_z.jpg
paludarium_first_week-1 by András Tündik, on Flickr

Change in the first week:

6766269901_a0f4741c1c_z.jpg
day1-week1 by András Tündik, on Flickr

Gonna try and update weekly.
Hope you like my new project! :wave:

A Wabi of which I didn't share many photos yet. Its running since August 2011 and my father is taking care of it in his flat. When I went there today I realized that it deserves some photos because it really has become beautiful. It is interesting to see that even Lindernia and Glossostigma turnes red under sufficiently high light. This is definitely thanks to the T2 spiral bulb I've chosen for this Wabi. I recommend it to everyone. It gives much less heat compared to T5s and other types of PCs.

6782644811_abeca18186_z.jpg
One of my Wabis by András Tündik, on Flickr
6782645207_d705c982be_z.jpg
6782645625_ed8b5c3ffd_z.jpg
6782646333_b98a85b5e3_z.jpg
6782646871_747029735a_z.jpg
6782647329_d74773081e_z.jpg
6782647867_4494855507_z.jpg

Really love both your tanks and photos, when I see them they make me fill my nanos once more. :)
Thanks for posting them,
Mike

Wow this is another masterpiece of yours! Definitely master of Wabis!

Very interesting that under the high ligth the plants are getting red. So it is not up to the spectrum after all.. What is the Wattage of this bulb?
What do you think about LED lighting. I don't know how good the commercially available LEDs are, but they are prety cheap and you can get many different fixtures E4, E27 and so on...

I also like a lot your terarium -aquarium experiment! When the plants take off above and under the water it will looks great. I like the appearance of the Cypherus helferi!

:thumbup:

clonitza said:
Really love both your tanks and photos, when I see them they make me fill my nanos once more. :)
Thanks for posting them,
Mike

Thanks! I'm glad my work makes you happier Mike. :)

Antoni said:
Wow this is another masterpiece of yours! Definitely master of Wabis!

Very interesting that under the high ligth the plants are getting red. So it is not up to the spectrum after all.. What is the Wattage of this bulb?
What do you think about LED lighting. I don't know how good the commercially available LEDs are, but they are prety cheap and you can get many different fixtures E4, E27 and so on...

I also like a lot your terarium -aquarium experiment! When the plants take off above and under the water it will looks great. I like the appearance of the Cypherus helferi!

:thumbup:

:oops: You definitely made me blush with your kind words mate. Thank you. Bulb is 15W. But I reckon one doesn't even need to bother much about watts these days as long as they are compatible bulbs with the lamp. I think that lumens are becoming much more important with these PCs. This one's 800 lumens which, for such a small Wabi (about 12 cm wide, 12 cm deep) is a great amount. I still believe in wide spectrum bulbs and proper Kelvins though, so keep that in mind too. I moved the bulb very close to the surface of the Wabi gradually (now its about 6-7 cms from the plants), and now, since its so old and sturdy it can handle this much light without drying up. I find that with every single aspect of a Wabi's technical know-how, the key thing is gradual change, be it humidity, light, pruning etc. Once matured (about 2-3 months) the bowl needs much less attention and can handle quicker changes.

LED lighting. Hmm... I sont have much experience with LED, I haven't tried them even on aquariums, though many people on the hungarian forums nurture really amazing tanks with it. I'm sure it works with Wabis, when it comes to quality of light. My only concern is, maybe its not at all well grounded, that LEDs produce a spotlight. There are limited lamp body possibilities that are available for such small bowls (mostly reading lamps and table lamps) and they are short. Thus if you put a LED bulb in them, they focus the light mostly to the middle of the Wabi, and the outskirts wouldn' develom as well perhaps. If you can find a lamp body that is tall enough and still looks good for lighting a wabi, go for it cause your being green and stylish :) After all Amano uses 70W HQI lamps for his Wabis which are also spot. But those lamps make it possible to move the bulb away to 40-50 cms from the surface of the bowl (and thats not only for to better light coverage but because HQIs would burn the plants with their great heat emission if too close).

Succesful, long term Wabis are still quite rare, more widespread in Asia but not common. Let alone Wabis withhout DoAqua! equipment. Therefore I'd like to encourage you to try out as many things as possible so that we can learn and develop our Wabi skills. If the led bulb doesnt work, you can always replace it with a compact fluorescent one, so go for it.

Hi,

thank you very much for the sufficient explanation. Yes I must agree that wattage is not really relevant those days, besides the fact that there are so many different light sources out there on the market. Every one with different specification. For instance in my nano which is about 18 l of water I'm using a 20 w PCL 6500K. I'm using only easycarbo, no CO2 and the plants are doing great, without any algae problems - and this is more than a watt/liter/the light is just 5 cm of the water surface/

Anyway, I'm thinking of trying to make a DIY lighting fixture with LED, so I can make it as high as I need it. Will keep you posted!

This thread of yours is inspiring!

Regards

Hi,

thank you very much for the sufficient explanation. Yes I must agree that wattage is not really relevant those days, besides the fact that there are so many different light sources out there on the market. Every one with different specification. For instance in my nano which is about 18 l of water I'm using a 20 w PCL 6500K. I'm using only easycarbo, no CO2 and the plants are doing great, without any algae problems - and this is more than a watt/liter/the light is just 5 cm of the water surface/

Anyway, I'm thinking of trying to make a DIY lighting fixture with LED, so I can make it as high as I need it. Will keep you posted!

This thread of yours is inspiring!

Regards

Hi all,
Linear T2 tubes should be more efficient than linear T5's, it is just a case of finding them and luminaires they fit in. T2 lamps are more available in Europe than the UK, but they are coming in.

MR16 LED lights should be readily available in "day-light" and in wide angle. They are fairly safe near water being 12V. A 12V driver to step down the 240V would be cheap as well, and could run several fittings.

cheers Darrel

dw1305 said:
Hi all,
Linear T2 tubes should be more efficient than linear T5's, it is just a case of finding them and luminaires they fit in. T2 lamps are more available in Europe than the UK, but they are coming in.

MR16 LED lights should be readily available in "day-light" and in wide angle. They are fairly safe near water being 12V. A 12V driver to step down the 240V would be cheap as well, and could run several fittings.

cheers Darrel

Thanks for the contribution ;) My experience is that not only linear, but any types of T2 bulb is the most efficient version of the compact fluorescent family. And for screw type PCs, fittings are readily available (the most common house lamp fittings: E14, E27) So I would only bother with linear T2s above aquariums, not Wabis.

On the LED front Im using 2x 3w 6500k gu10 fitting bulbs over my 60x35x35 no tech and getting good but slow growth. The surprise for me is how well the sagittaria subdulata is growing. 30cm seems to be the max usable light spread though Im thinking of adding a 3rd bulb to the tank.

Back