• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Schruz's Works - Wabi Kusa, Emersed setups, Planted tanks

Re: Schruz's Works

no doubt about it, this is a very attractive piece of work.

Thanks ;)

dw1305 said:
Hi all,
Utricularia graminifolia grows best in acid, nutrient poor conditions. We had a discussion about a while ago, when I used to have a lot of growing in with my other insectivorous plants. I'm pretty sure that I haven't got any now, as the windowsills the pots were on got very cold when we didn't have any heating in December 2010.

The lab has new double glazing now, so I may try again if it really doesn't re-appear.

<http://ukaps.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=10477&p=112025> & <http://www.ukaps.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11289>.

cheers Darrel

Darrel, do you know anything about the optimal condition for making UG flower? As you can see, it seems to be feeling good, but no signs of flowers yet, nor in the palu nor in my Wabi. Can it flower in nutrient rich conditions?

Hi all,
My Utricularias have mainly flowered in the summer, so I think it is a warmth, or most likely, light response.
Can it flower in nutrient rich conditions?
I'm not sure, flowering may be a response to lack of nutrients, but I think it probably is just a response to the plant being healthy and in good growth.

If you can, I'd up the light a little bit. Mine are on a shaded window NE facing sill, but they will get a small amount of morning sun in the summer, and even diffused daylight is x10 PAR of most lighting.

cheers Darrel

dw1305 said:
Hi all,
My Utricularias have mainly flowered in the summer, so I think it is a warmth, or most likely, light response.
Can it flower in nutrient rich conditions? I'm not sure, flowering may be a response to lack of nutrients, but I think it probably is just a response to the plant being healthy and in good growth.

If you can, I'd up the light a little bit. Mine are on a shaded window NE facing sill, but they will get a small amount of morning sun in the summer, and even diffused daylight is x10 PAR of most lighting.

cheers Darrel

Thanks for the input mate!

___________________________________________________________________________________________________

A new terrarium replaced the Emersed Iwagumi project. Sorry for the contrasty/bad pics. Problem is I broke a tube in the middle lamp, and the left one is the factory tube of the Zen artist which is not too strong. The camera is not good enough to see well in these conditions. I'll buy replacement tubes soon.

The title is "Humid Conditions" not simply because there is humidity inside the tank. Somehow when I look at it it reminds me well of an Australian rainforest I've been to where the air was so humid I could hardly breath. The name comes from there.

I can't decide yet whether I am contented with the scape or not... I'll see in a few days.

Lighting:
2x or 3x (will decide later) 20W 6500K PC
plus some sunlight

Substrate:

Tropica Plant Nutrition, mix of ADA Amazonia and Malaya, Eheim Substrat Pro

Hardscape:
ADA Iron Wood
ADA Seiryu stone

Plants:
Glossostigma elatinoides
Eleocharis parvula
Lileaopsis mauritiana
Pogostemon helferi
Pogostemon stellata
Hygrophyla pinnatifida
Hygrophila 'Araguaia'
Rotala wallchii
Cryptocoyne becketti 'petchii'
Cryptocoryne wendtii 'Tropica'
Cardamine lyrata

Terrestrial moss to be added to the wood and rocks at places.

7102789535_c24be29177_z.jpg
&quot;Humid Conditions&quot; by András Tündik, on Flickr
7102789271_91cf205467_z.jpg
6956719206_0b0fc0cd0a_z.jpg
7102788551_3e8538e1ca_z.jpg

Your work amazes me... already looking stunning..... i want to see a completely submerged scape too!

Gill said:
Lovely, Where are those light units from, they look very sexy
Thanks! They are sexy aren't day? :D I love them too. Brand is Wave, prototype is Zen Artist. They also come in white but black I think is way better. I bought them through GreenAqua in Hungary, but I'm sure there are numerous LFS that sell it in the UK. Just do a Google search and I'm sure you'll find 'em.

Side note: the factory tubes they come with are not too good for aquascaping, or at least for fast growth. Luckily any other E27 type longer PC fits into it, use those. Spiral T2s don't fit unfortunately :(

Ady34 said:
Your work amazes me... already looking stunning..... i want to see a completely submerged scape too!

Why, thank you mate! Your wish may become granted over the summer when I'm gonna built a new aquarium top to bottom instead of the 100L one you can see a couple of pages back. ;)

Re: Schruz's Works - Wabi Kusa, Emersed setups, Planted tank

If your Wabis don't look this ugly once every 1 to 2 months then you will not be able to make them very lush on the longrun. I find regular pruning more and more crucial, since otherwise plants get tired and thin up.

I only advise a UG carpet in a flat bowl like the Echino Mix to someone really committed... Its a pain to prune cause there is no way to submerge the bowl unless you have a huge aquarium or barrel which I don't have.

The reason I pruned the UG is that it became so thick that it started to die at a spot. The "ring" of dead plants grew very rapidly. In my theory a lot of ammonium was generated, it killed the adjacent plants which in turn killed the next row etc. I think I stopped the process but now I have a hole in the front of the carpet

One more thing. About a week ago I stopped spaying the Echino Mix with Do!Aqua be-Bright to try and pursue the Red Diamond to become emersed. It did not make the plant do so. All I achieved was that the leaves lost their beautiful red color, as you can see. I am back at regular spraying with be-Bright now.

7112061051_4d263093a3_z.jpg
Pruned Wabis by András Tündik, on Flickr
6965984320_2afceb61d4_z.jpg
Pruned Wabis by András Tündik, on Flickr

I really like your wabis, great fan of your work.

The lights you have are really nice, but I cannot find them in the UK.. Will need to visit the shop and pick some up.. :)

yeah- cant find those lights!

No Wave Zen Artist in th UK?? Wow... I wouldn't have thought that. :wideyed: Well order it from abroad. There are a lot of foreign webshops selling them I guess.

The terrarium titled "Humid Conditions" is a week old.

7129356979_511ba358a9_z.jpg
Humid Conditions - Week 1 by András Tündik, on Flickr

7129356689_73e89df7a3_z.jpg
Humid Conditions - Week 1 by András Tündik, on Flickr

I really should get some nice terrestrial moss on the driftwood...

That really is lovely, what are the "spiky" looking plants in the right background ?

Some very nice tanks. Just wish mine looked that good.

How did i not subscribe to this post earlier :)

ghostsword said:
One of the best posts of the forum.. I am totally inspired by it. :)

I'm just waiting for the cat to move out of this house and i've got 5 small and 1 big wabi jars waiting to go. :D

Hi all!

Sorry for not posting here at all for so many months. There has been a change in my lifestyle and have very little time left for foruming (unfortunately). The changes are actually good. Work, and finally a functioning band to which it is worthy to invest much time and effort. I'm the drummer and songwriter and also a singer in some songs so I'm quite occupied. This forced me to get rid of some of my emersed projects too because there simple wasnt enough time left to maintain them. I have no Wabis left, the new terrarium with the branches died of a mold attack, then further died of a mold killing substance :p :D What I kept is the paludarium (Down by the Riverside) and my new aquascape (The Clearing) in the place of Fairytale of Vegetation. I am not quitting Wabis and emerged growing forever, but for a while I will not be able to maintain 6 planted projects at the same time like I have before. I now plan to move back underwater but after a few scapes I'll definitely build more emersed projects (in place of submersed ones not next to them)

Steven Caller author of a new online aquarist magazine interviewed me through e-mail recently about Wabi Kusa. Here is the article, I think it sums up some important aspects of emersed growing:
http://aquaristmagazine.com/Andras Tundik Wabi Kusa Interview.html

Please give the magazine a like on Facebook if you can ;)
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Aquarist-Magazine/167521390049267

Simanas said:
schruz said:

Hello,

How do you collect all the trimmings?

I actually sold this terrarium about a year ago :) I used to fill the tank up with water from my aquariums, and pruned it while it was under water. ;)

I entered the AGA 2012 with my paludarium. These are the pics I've sent in:

the-clearing_20120906-8.jpg

the-clearing_20120906-6.jpg

the-clearing_20120906-10.jpg

the-clearing_20120906-9.jpg

the-clearing_20120906-7.jpg

paludarium_map.jpg

And here is the evolution of my new aquascape, The Clearing.

The tank is 26 days old today and does very well.

Day 4

7818051912_3346e99563_z.jpg
The Clearing - Day 4 by András Tündik, on Flickr

Day 13

7943204618_a0cb0e8927_z.jpg
The Clearing - Day 13 by András Tündik, on Flickr

Day 18 after pruning the Pogostemons

7943204262_2f48a4b38c_z.jpg
The Clearing - Day 18 by András Tündik, on Flickr

And the latest photo at day 21 after pruning the HC for the first time.

7943203894_cb70da957c_z.jpg
The Clearing - Day 21 by András Tündik, on Flickr

Plant list:
Anubias nan petite
Bolbitis heudekotii
Microsorum pteropus nerrow
Microsorum pteropus needle leaf
Hemianthus callitricoides Cuba
Glossostigma elatinoides
Eleocharis parvula
Marsilea hirsuta
Sagittaria subulata
Cryptocoryne beckettii
Pogostemon stellata
Lileaopsis macloviana
Vesicularia dubyana

Hardscape:
Iron wood
Fuji stone

Substrate:
Amanonia and Amazonia powder
Ada power sand special and Tropica plant nutrition

Lights:
4x24 T5 HO 1900 lm 6500 K

Filters:
Eheim 2071 + Sachem Marathon

A break is always good mate to clear the mind and make more interesting projects.
Saved your interview for later reading, back from vacation and still need to spend a lot of time to bring back on track my aquariums.
Good luck with the new one, looks very nice. :thumbup: What's the height of the tank?
Definitely need to start a wabi this autumn. I might ask you some questions if I get stuck with something.

Cheers,
Mike

Back