• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Scutariella on Cherry Shrimp

Hello!

Sorry to resurrect the thread but I just found some scutariella on my cherry shrimp this morning in my nano tank. I'm not completely sure what to do, they were on about 6 shrimps that I can tell (I have about 100 ranging from large to tiny). The tank is so full of moss that I don't think I'll be able to catch them all.

They share the tank with 2 amanos and 4 rabbit snails. Can I treat with fluke-solve and not hurt the snails? Wondering if I should set up a quarantine for the snails, and treat the whole tank for a while, or quarantine as many shrimp as possible and treat them in there. The only other problem is that I rarely see moults, I think they eat them very quickly but I know I need to be vigilent, so maybe trying to catch all the shrimp & quarantine is better in a simple tank where it's easy to see everything. Will the parasites affect the amanos too?

Also paraguard seems to not be available in the UK any more, so I think I will try the fluke-solve. Would love any extra advice
Unless you can get all the shrimps out of the tank I would advise you to just remove the snails (if they are at risk) and treat the whole tank.

If you can only catch most of the shrimp there is always going to be a risk of reinfection once you add the treated shrimp back

I do read Praziquantel is effective on these flatworms. A few years ago i had a personal e-mail chat with Dr. Fiona McDonald form Fish Treatment Ltd. It was about a different infection, but she adviced me to use Fluke Solve as remedi.. It's a Praziquantel based medicine in powder form she and her team have personaly developed. She adviced me to use it as a 14 day treatment to be most effectve. It has absolutely no negative effect on fish and shrimps even snails don't seem to care much about it. And next to a bunch of cherries i have a lot of snails..

Thats what i did, 14 days long recomended dosage. It worked like a charme..

It can be bought here
Buy Fish Treatments Online | Fish Treatment Ltd
Just wanted to say thanks for this recommendation, and that Vetark Fluke-Solve worked brilliantly for clearing the scutariella from my "wild" Neocaridina that arrived with this parasite!

I was super worried about adding artifical chemical treatment to my invert tank, but noticed no issues with any of the shrimp, snails (nerite, trapdoor, MTS) or thousands of seed shrimp. I even did a second treatement after 1 week just to be safe even though I couldent see any adult scutariella or eggs. Such a relief to have found an effective treatment that is very safe for aquarium inverts. Happy shrimp here!

Back