• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Seachem Ferts

billko

Hi,
I,m thinking of trying Seachem ferts and noticed they do iron,phosphorous,nitrogen,trace, potassium,and excel.
Do you need all these?
I,ve had mixed success using PN, PN+ and Profito at different times,
Plants seem to grow very well then i have some BBA issues,
I don,t use pressurised C02 but dose Easycarbo,
I,ve added more flow,increased lighting, decreased lighting,upped the ferts etc, but still have some BBA issues,
Looking for basically an all round quality fert.
What would you guy,s recommend?
Billy

BBA is usually linked to poor or fluctuating CO2, also linked with poor circulation. In a non-CO2 injected tank water changes can actually induce BBA in my experience.

If you are dosing Easycarbo then this should prevent BBA. How much are you dosing in what size tank?

Hi George and thanks for the reply.
The tank is a 260 ltr Osaka Discus set up, pretty well stocked fish wise
I,m running 2 Eheim ecco externals and a Fluval 305, and a small Koralia pump.
I dose 10ml Easycarbo daily.
Waterchanges 40ltrs every other day using HMA filtered water.
Billy

Well, that should be enough Easycarbo. Recommended dosing is 2ml per 50 litres per day in heavily planted tank, so you may get away with dosing a little more, but I may not want to risk it with sensitive fish, as it is a toxic product.

Have you considered pressurised CO2? In the long-term it will pay for itself vs. long-term Easycarbo dosing in a 260 litre aquarium.

I think the water changes may be exacerbating the BBA, due to the fluctuating CO2 levels they induce, but realise that with discus regular water changes are considered necessary.

What lighting do you have?

I,ve the standard dual glo 39watt t5 lights that came with the Osaka,
They are at the highest height setting so quite a bit of water to penetrate.
The tubes are aound 8mths old,
I,ve thought of C02 and have a cylinder which i got a while back, but kind of stopped at that point.
i was a bit unsure to go ahead with a pressurised system,
If i,m honest i am at the crossroads as to which direction the set up will go in now.
The BBA has been stubborn and i seem to be running on the spot so to speak with the tank.
I know keeping Discus would be alot easier in a tank with little or no plants, but i really want the planted set up to work.
Billy

Back