• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Seachem Flourite question

Nont

I was thinking of buying Seachem Flourite as I like its texture not for the nutrients. However, the stuff is really expensive and I don’t like having to replace it like soil. So I was wondering what it is really made of and can it be use forever like gravel without breaking down? I also would like to see the picture of how it looks in the tank.

Safe T Sorb and Oil-Dri are pretty close in appearance to regular Flourite. I don't know about local availability but if you look for products used for cleaning up oil spills you might find an equivalent.

Turface (used for baseball fields) and pond planting media has similar texture but is more uniformly tan colored.

Akadama (bonsai media) is also tanned color but is more like rough pebbles. If you go this route, try to get small samples to test as different brands have varying durability.

S. Flourite is indeed a very pretty substrate, I'm using the Red one in a setup because I find this the most natural looking in texture and colour mixture.
According to Seachem, it's a fracted porous clay for the rest they give very little information about its origin. It's pretty hard and over the years it didn't break down a bit. So my best guess is it's indefinitely reusable. It's indeed very expensive if you have a large tank and need a lot. In my case, one small bag was more than enough.

Unfortunately, I don't have any pictures giving true real-life credit due to glass reflections, but if you google Seachem Flourite images you might get some better ones.

dsc_0664-jpg.jpg

Hi all,
So I was wondering what it is really made of..
According to Seachem, it's a fracted porous clay for the rest they give very little information about its origin. It's pretty hard and over the years it didn't break down a bit. So my best guess is it's indefinitely reusable. It's indeed very expensive if you have a large tank and need a lot. In my case, one small bag was more than enough.
We have a comment from <"Dr Greg Morin himself">. As for expense? I think @sparkyweasel has <"the answer">.

cheers Darrel

Last edited:
I use seachem flourite, i would say its more like an inert substrate and stay as it is over the years.

So if you plant you will need to dose water column or use root tabs.

Big down side, its really dirty and you will have to wash it thoroughly and will lose i would say 1/4 of the product.

I would suggest the sand version over the big flake. Its really hard to plant in the big flakes and damage the stem nost of the time.

I don't buy the cec in it. I tested this and after a week of not dosing my plant was showing defiency.

20201026_132246.jpg

Last edited:
Having used it in the past I confirm that it won't break down and can be used for years. I liked it not only for the colour but it was very easy to plant in!

Back