• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Second hand mulm

idris

I'm going to be starting my plants emerged.
In the meantime I'm thinking about getting a good bacterial culture going in the filter, and I've read the best way to do this is to get some mulm from another tank.

I don't have another tank running but I know someone who does. So I'm wondering what the best way to do this is?

Is it just a case of getting some water squeezed from their filters foam and sticking that in my own filter? Do I need to run the pump and/or have heated water running through it, or is it enough just to leave the pump to sit in the garage for a weerk or two without power?

idris said:
...Is it just a case of getting some water squeezed from their filters foam and sticking that in my own filter?
Yes, that's all there is to it.
idris said:
Do I need to run the pump and/or have heated water running through it
Yes, you should do this. The bacteria of interest need oxygen.
idris said:
or is it enough just to leave the pump to sit in the garage for a week or two without power?
No, it's not enough because this will tend to encourage anaerobic bacteria.

Cheers,

Thanks Ceg.
Been thinking this through a bit more - do you need to provide the bacteria with a food source?

Yup - otherwise the wee beasties will starve! I think i'm right in saying (and i'm sure i'll be corrected if not :) ) that plants will release ammonia as part of their natural processes anyway, so f tank is planted you shouldn't have any probs
M

Wasn't planning on cultivating the bacteria in the filter with plants as I'm intending to start the plants emerged.

Any alternative food sources? (I know those who advocate fishless cycling use domestic ammonia but I'd rather steer clear of that if I can.)

Back