• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Seeding a Fluval G6

sam91

Seedling
Hi Everyone. I'm setting up a 160 litre planted tank soon and I have a question about seeding my new Fluval G6. As I'm setting up this new tank I'm also taking an old one down and as such I happen to have a small power filter filled with sponge media that is full of nitrifying bacteria spare to use in the new tank. My question is, how do I best utilize this seeded media in the new canister filter. Do I put it in with the nodes? I'm not using the chemical filtration so do I put it in there? I don't think it's going to fit whole. Is it ok if I cut it? Thanks for any help guys.

Hi Sam, the simple answer is it makes no difference. If you dont intend using the chemical cartridge then stick the sponge in there. The bacteria will spread to the bio section in the filter and its a good use of that part of the filter.

Awesome! Thanks for the responses guys. I have two so I might cut one up and put it in the chemical media tray and if there's no room for the other one, I'll put it in one of the biological trays.

One more question. Both of these compartments come after the mechanical filtration. Should I try and squeeze out some of the debris trapped in the sponge before I do put them in the later compartments to avoid dirtying the media in already them? Also, given that this should, in theory, instantly cycle my tank. When should I go ahead and do this. When I first set up the tanks and add the plants, or when I add the fish? Thanks again!

do you have any fish ? If not, what is supplying the filter with ammonia?

Back