• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Selaginella potting mix

Nont

Hi guys,

I just spotted some sellaginella willdenowii in the forest nearby, I’m thinking about keeping it.
What should I be using as the potting mix and can I use them in hydroponic condition with sponge/rockwool + net pot instead?

I have tried Selaginella martensii (I think), and the only place it seems to do well is right above the waterline, growing among mosses and some Utricularia graminifolia. High humidity and moisture levels, but with a free draining substrate, appears to be preferred, so your hydroponic idea might be best provided S. willdenowii has similar demands (or you could maybe try an epiphytic soil mixture, similar to the ones used for Nepenthes). I would attempt to get some java moss or similar growing emersed, and then add the Selaginella on top once the moss is established.
IMG_20221229_142732.jpg

Also, I'm not sure what the laws are regarding collecting plants in Thailand, so those might be worth looking up first @Nont . When I visited Borneo with a university course they made it clear that nothing like plants or seeds were allowed to be taken (but they were also quick to point out that no one would check our socks, especially after a week in the rainforest ;) ). While here in Sweden you are pretty much free to pick small amounts of any non-endangered plant, it's just a shame that we don't have more good looking species.

I’m growing some Selaginella in closed terrariums - it seems mostly indifferent to the substrate, so long as it has high humidity.

I have tried Selaginella martensii (I think), and the only place it seems to do well is right above the waterline, growing among mosses and some Utricularia graminifolia. High humidity and moisture levels, but with a free draining substrate, appears to be preferred, so your hydroponic idea might be best provided S. willdenowii has similar demands (or you could maybe try an epiphytic soil mixture, similar to the ones used for Nepenthes). I would attempt to get some java moss or similar growing emersed, and then add the Selaginella on top once the moss is established.
Thanks, I’ll try nepenthes mix.
What kind of light are you using to grow it? Wouldn’t direct light burn the plant?
Also, I'm not sure what the laws are regarding collecting plants in Thailand, so those might be worth looking up first @Nont .
We are free to collect everything as long as the plants isn’t in protected area or national park. Mine come from my relative’s place. These are pictures of Selaginella willdenowii in the national park, however they are everywhere and consider as weed.
379C624D-1BE4-42C4-8C81-77CA63BEEA2E.jpeg
1CB7D21C-4800-4395-BDB7-6565657A99E1.jpeg

What kind of light are you using to grow it? Wouldn’t direct light burn the plant?
There is an "aquael leddy smart 2 plant" light on the tank, but it's not sitting directly under the beam. I think it can tolerate quite high light levels though provided the humidity is high enough, although if you're going to grow it on it's own you can probably get away with much lower intensities.
We are free to collect everything as long as the plants isn’t in protected area or national park. Mine come from my relative’s place. These are pictures of Selaginella willdenowii in the national park, however they are everywhere and consider as weed.
Perfect, then it might be worth trying it on a few different substrates. S. martensii is really easy to root from cuttings, so if S. willdenowii is anything like that (which it sounds like) you don't need much to start with.

Can you take a sample of the soil that it grows in out in the wild to try. I'm sure you could make something similar if you study the consistency.
My cousin lives in Brazil and he made a few terrariums with jungle collected species by just digging the plants up with a section of soil and plonking them into a container with a drainage layer at the bottom.

Can you take a sample of the soil that it grows in out in the wild to try. I'm sure you could make something similar if you study the consistency.
My cousin lives in Brazil and he made a few terrariums with jungle collected species by just digging the plants up with a section of soil and plonking them into a container with a drainage layer at the bottom.
Unfortunately, I only took the plants with me. And that forest is pretty far away.
So I will have to try a few potting soil mix and maybe pure sphagnum.

Back