• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Set-up recommendations

Greenview

I am setting up a new, densely planted 180l tank and realise that I would benefit from CO2. I am not keen on the DIY approach as I would prefer to turn it off at night for the fish, but do not want to spend a huge amount on the system. What is the best approach to take? Are any ready made systems worth considering? Or am I far better off constructing my own? In that case what sort of budget will I need (based in UK)
Thanks.

Have a look at the Barr Report website and look for the article on the low tech approach. (Sorry, don't have the link to hand.)
It offers a different perspective on the "need" for pressurised CO2

I'm not. Honest. :oops: There just seems to be an endless suply of people saying use pressurised CO2, and it was only after a lot of reading that I saw some one as respected as Tom Barr saying you don't have to do it that way. Of course you can, but the OP mentioned cost, and the cheapest CO2 set up is no CO2 at all.
As you well know Bob, I'm no expert :lol:

FWIW here's the link.

Thanks for the Info. Is the non-pressurised route going to give good enough levels of co2 to grow plants like hc?

Cost is important, as Idris pointed out, but value for money and safety are more important. I do not want to overdose the tank or flood it with DIY yeast etc. Are the ready made kits worth thinking about (I find it impossible to assess how long their small tanks of co2 are supposed to last for)? Otherwise the DIY FE option looks the best.

DIY shouldn't run the risk of flooding the tank with yeast as long as you have an inline non return valve.
If you're good at DIY (including a little electronics) I reckon you should be able to knock up a timed shut-off valve for no more than £30. I've not seen it done, and it's not as predictable as FE, but might be worth a thought.

See what you've done Idris!

I think for the size of your tank that DIY Co2 (ie yeast based systems) won't product enough Co2 for your needs. Not unless you are running multi-stage multi-container systems, which would probably end up taking up a lot of space and time. If you're wanting to grow HC you will definitely need Co2 at a fairly high and reliable level, you will also need good ferts and excellent flow to ensure that they reach the bottom and all around your tank. The best method for getting high levels of dissolved Co2 seems to be inline and I wouldn't imagine that you will get the required pressure to run an UP Atomiser or other reactor with a DIY kit. So if you are dead set on HC in a high tech tank you'll need to go for a pressurised system.

Tho as Idris rightly points out high tech is not the only way to go. If you are happy with your plants growing slower and choosing less demanding plants you can run a Co2-less tank that can still look amazing.

Thanks for the input. Looks like I am heading to eBay for bits for a FE kit!

Are you interested in building your own regulator?
Much like the ones over at BR.
I personally have done some research on a good solenoid for use on this side of the pond.

You can get most regulators on eBay, that do ship to the UK.

Back