• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Seven Moss Cube

It will be plenty bright enough to grow any plant, I'm growing HC @ 65%. But if you don't like how bright it looks compared to your other light at 100% it may be best to stick with what you have - it seems to be working well enough! Grobeam 1500 might look a bit overkill over this tank though.

Yes, typically for me it's not broken so I've spent a load of money to fix it! And you're right, I've no idea how I'd mount the 1500.
For all I know the plants might like this LED better, but it feels risky to change what's working so well at the moment. I guess I could wait a while, and turn to ebay if I decide I don't want the Aquaray 400 in the end, instead of returning it (it'd be a real hassle to return the whole lot as the controller came from a different supplier).

Interestingly, after just 15 mins with the led balanced over the tank, the foreground plants seem to have actually increased their pearling. Clearly I need to experiment and not necessarily trust my eyes...
From what I've learn't so far about led's this seems to be the case..

TdC02oN.jpg

Homemade hanger for led tile. Hacked from a Wilcos £3 curtain rail. Just waiting for some black tubing to cover up the botched bend.
To hang the tile I've cut a sliver of 2mm perspex, (from the same piece that I'm making a cover for when the tank needs leaving alone), drilled holes in that, fitted a couple of bits of wire, slid it into the groove on top of the tile and tied onto the hanger. Will do a neater job of the wire when the support is finished.

Plants are pearling like mad under this light, so long as the water is changed regularly.

Meanwhile the bowl seems to be quietly, slowly thriving in our cold kitchen (there are two tiny cherry shrimp in there, though I'm not sure they're getting on with the temp).
7wo0Cfo.jpg

I've rigged up one of the waterproof led strips as a moonlight/extra light. Stuck just under the front of the tank rim so it's invisible from almost all angles. To be honest it's too bright as moonlight effect, so I might re-think. But it makes the Green Neons look amazing in the evening (photo doesn't do it justice).

bTMjNXu.jpg

And now the top of the tank is open I have plans for these cheap offcuts of redmoor that I got at ADC on Saturday.

64YIF96.jpg

Yikes!

So, I went to pick out a couple of Hygrophila leaves that had suddenly appeared in the foreground of the tank, and I jumped because the leaves had weight and mass and a spongey feel. I put them in a jar and they behaved like this!

Anyone have any idea what this thing is? (It does come into focus a couple of times:confused:).
I mean it looks like a caterpillar, but I've never found one underwater before. I've had plenty of other beasties appear, and damselflies hatching out etc, but not this.

eeek!

Kill it with fire!

Haven't got a clue what it is, other than a caterpillar. A quick google search throws up a variety of names etc but most say its harmless, other than eating your plants. Most say it will eventually transform and fly out of your tank.

Keep a hold of it in the jar and see what happens with it, I've never seen or heard of an aquatic / underwater caterpillar so am interested to see what it does.

Maybe they can mimic the colour of their environment and tunnel material to a degree. I thought caddis fly as soon as I saw it...

I think he's really great whatever he is! You should keep him and us all updated on his progress.

I've often thought about starting a preserving jar on the window sill full of Daphnia and larvae with loads of moss and twigs. I used to do it every summer when I was a kid.

Well, he's gone out into the garden into a tub full of daphnia. Who knows if I'll ever see him again!

Here's a pic I took during a waterchange. Just before other changes...

OzA1n8L.jpg

These are the other changes so far...
XQQwGgY.jpg

Newly tied weeping moss and Taiwan moss on more redmoor, and tall HG, a couple of Crypt Balansae, more space for the Vallis Nana, and just a few stem remnants behind.
Think I might persuade the Hydrocotle to take over from the HC patches too, since the HC isn't doing too great. I know it's very early days, but all this fiddling about is with a view to making the tank need less fiddling about in future, and to back-track on how carried away I got in the beginning...

The wood looks over-imposing in the photo, but I really like the depth and nooks and crannies in person. Should hopefully soften a lot as the moss fills in too.

QUssELd.jpg

qFYAQfJ.jpg

With all the excitement over your unknown resident I forgot to say how lovely your tank is looking! That low angle shot looking up is breathtaking. I can only hope my plants are going to be even half as healthy as yours.

Thanks!

The unknown resident was almost definitely a Rhyacophila Fuscula or Green Sedge Caddisfly. Well, that's what I reckon after a bit of google work. Apparently the head only changes colour when they're older. Also maybe that wasn't even the head, but the tail end. They're from the states, but I think they're already naturalised here, so I guess I'll leave it out in the garden.

The only real things in this tank that are different to tanks I've done in the past are ADA amazonia soil and some Tropica 1-2 grow plants (and now LED lighting, but that's only just gone on). I think the fact that I'm doing 25% water changes every 2nd day is probably the main reason things are going smoothly so far. It was a shame to take the Red Ludwigia out (most of it), but it doesn't look as good under this LED and also the growth rate was out of control. I think the new background will take quite a while to fill in, but the big mossy wood is the main attraction anyway.

I'm planning to try an Up Aqua inline atomiser, mainly to get the diffuser out of the tank, but also so as to not have to clean it every 2 weeks.

I've also got plans to try DIYing a mini surface skimmer. I might try running the drop checker outside the tank by siliconing a tube onto it, too.

Hi all,
I mean it looks like a caterpillar, but I've never found one underwater before
Because of the way the leaf is folded over I think it is probably a caterpillar. We have a few in the UK that are aquatic and make very similar tubes.

This is a common one in the UK, the "Brown China Mark" (Elophila nymphaeata): <Brown China-mark Elophila nymphaeata - UKMoths> the larval case in the additional pictures.

cheers Darrel

A few pics. Apologies, they're iPhone ones (sometimes cropped and sharpened in PS). That's all I've got. Embarrassing really, given the general quality of photography on this forum...

fxCxiXO.jpg

wDWcfdZ.jpg

MrbkAkZ.jpg

MIisEVj.jpg

vuZKQkQ.jpg

cZ5Jh7O.jpg

I2v0FNy.jpg

I've got a little experiment going since these pics. A mini, directional spray-bar/outlet that I've made in an attempt to improve flow/CO2 distribution. If it's any use I'll put up some photos, or a drawing.

NYn1Gev.jpg

Quick pic as it's four weeks from first planting. The big bit of wood, which was planted about 10 days ago is just starting to lose the 'freshly tied' look, which is very satisfying. (Amazing how the 1-2 grow moss turns dark green on planting, before growing, and after having arrived looking so pale and yellow). Having boiled the wood, and soaked it, AND painted it with liquid carbon prior to putting it in the tank, I seem to have avoided slime this time around.

All else is growing ok (ignoring the slow starters at the back) but the little patches of HC not so well. Oh, and the Green Neons seem to like to eat the new growth on the Pearl Grass. (That's blanched courgette on the right, to keep the Otos happy, which it really seems to, certainly more than my tinkering with the CO2 levels does).
wAxHEeH.jpg

I've made a DIY mini outlet with two holes drilled at angles to get the flow down to the substrate (and to add a little bit of ripple to the surface). Currently it's got a Fluval diffuser underneath it so the tank is quite fizzy during the day. Hopefully that whole setup will be more elegant when my inline atomiser arrives, but we'll see. When I come to clean the filter that outlet will probably prove a bit too forceful, and I'm wary of it blocking up too, but anyway.

I'm going to start dosing 3ml Neutro+ daily. Currently I'm experimenting with a Peace Lily in a pot growing out of the top, which'll probably end up stealing all of that!

Still trying to get a balance with the light level, photoperiod, and the ambient light in the room (got some GSA on the glass, though not masses).

The Pogostemon Stellata will obviously have to go because it'll want to be too big, though it seems very happy. I'd like to get hold of some Eleocharis Vivipara instead, to go with the other grasslike things at the back.

Blah blah...

Looking really nice Joel and filling in really naturally.
Cheerio,
Ady

Back