• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Sexing kribensis ?

About a month ago, I was devastated to have to give my two Kribs back to my local fish shop, after a year of owning them 😩. This was due to their aggressive breeding behaviour ruining the tranquility of my aquarium and causing a steady stream of mass suicides in the other fish from the open top tank.

As others have suggested, they are prolific breeders, and when breeding they can be very aggressive to other fish. For me this resulted in them constantly chasing other fish away, very quickly around the tank. This made the temperament of the tank very ‘on edge’ all of the time. The other fish could never relax and swim around, and were constantly huddled together in one corner of the tank.

Slowly over the year, my population decreased by about 80 percent, as I would wake up on a morning and find crusted fish on the floor at the side of the tank, who had ostensibly jumped when being chased by the kribs.

These are truly beautiful fish, perhaps some of the most colourful and beautiful tropical fish in the hobby, so i was gutted. They were in fact my favourite fish as well, but I knew that in another few months, they would have been my only fish, so I decided to re home them before I rescaped, in favour of stocking a more peaceful colony.

You may have more luck with the AS 900 being larger, and having more space (mine was a 600) but I definitely would prepare for the vibe of your whole tank to become highly strung when they are breeding (constantly). I would suggest perhaps a mesh top to prevent jumpers.

In testament to their prolific breeding, I returned my two Kribs, plus 5 juveniles that had survived from the fry stage into fully formed (albeit still small) fish.

Sorry for the tale of woe. I truly love these fish. But felt I had to tell my story of love and loss, with these beautiful fish.

The problem is, Kribs are widely sold as community fish, but in reality they can be quite aggressive and are probably best kept species only, or at the very least in a VERY selective community, and definitely in a large tank.

Last edited:
Hi all,
Thankyou so much for all the comments and advice atm I’m currently selling the two kribs as I feel as if I left them any longer in the aquarium even with hiding places ie a cave (coconut) there breeding behaviour would only be more stressful for the other fish. It sad that I have to take this decision and wish I was told this when buying the fish in the first place as I asked about 1000 questions just to make sure all would be fine but seems like they just wanted them gone... they have brought so much character to the aquarium and colour so interesting watching them do there breeding activities but it’s now time for someone elc to enjoy them as much as I have.

Many of you have mentioned about the Apistogramma Cacatuoides DOUBLE RED Male + Female these won’t be going into my setup I have a tank just for them to breed in with coconut shells Tantora Indian Almond Leaves And substrate floating plants and some other items also will have one clean up crew that won’t be able to fit baby fry in there mouth.

Back