• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Sexing my Brittlenoses

leetaylor

Hi, I have two very young brittlenose Plecs (about 4 months)

I am "hoping" I have a boy and a girl both are starting to get small brissels by their mouth one is slightly darker than the other (they came from two sources so I if they are going to breed they will be of different geanes)

Anyone pick out what they are?

24570074597_a3a68f1e0d_b.jpg
Which sex? by leetaylor, on Flickr

Id be really appreciative if you could....if you need a better pic let me know

E6139C9F-88F8-4CA1-892B-FE745FBD3F32.jpeg
I was told only males have bristles. The above is my female and she’s not got any. But that may have just been for the type of Pleco I bought.

The females have bristles in some species, usually just around the mouth, whereas the males get them all over the head. Only as they mature though, so you may have to wait a while before you can be sure.
hth

Hi all,
both are starting to get small brissels by their mouth
It is like @sparkyweasel says some females have <"mouth bristles">, but they are few in number and don't extend up the head. Because they are young fish you can't really sex them yet, but both male would be my guess.
The above is my female and she’s not got any. But that may have just been for the type of Pleco I bought
You are right that fish isn't an Ancistrus species, it is a Clown Plec <"Panaqolus (Panaque) maccus">. Because of the body odontodes (towards the tail) it may be a male.

cheers Darrel

Last edited:
I think they are to small to sex at the minute as well but you can definitely tell male from female in mature ones. I have a pair of albino ones and the female has the characteristic mouth spines which are in a thin horizontal line and the male has bristles which cover most of the face under the eyes and go in every direction.

You are right that fish isn't an Ancistrus species, it is a Clown Plec <"Panaqolus (Panaque) maccus">. Because of the body odontodes (towards the tail) it may be a male.
cheers Darrel

Thank you, I didn’t know what type of Pleco it is. It was sold as just a Bristle Nosed Pleco. So that’s excellent information I didn’t have before.

I raise and trade longfinned albino bristlenose and have noted that often the males will have larger head than the females even when quite young.
The females may have no bristles, or as has been mentioned, have bristles around the upper lip but not high on the forehead like the males.
They can breed as early as six month's and it is the male that guards the egg's normally.
A pleco cave or DIY tube made from PVC and glued to a piece of slate might induce them to get busy.

Hi all, It is like @sparkyweasel says some females have <"mouth bristles">, but they are few in number and don't extend up the head. Because they are young fish you can't really sex them yet, but both male would be my guess. You are right that fish isn't an Ancistrus species, it is a Clown Plec <"Panaqolus (Panaque) maccus">. Because of the body odontodes (towards the tail) it may be a male.

cheers Darrel

Plus one^ photo above is Panaque clown pleco.
Disturbingly secretive fish.

Back