• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Shallow tanks

Is there anywhere that does off the shelf shallow tanks?

I'd like an idea off prices but I'm not ready to buy yet so don't want to hassle builders for quotes.

Looking at something like 3.5ft x 1.5 deep x 30cm tall.

I really doubt you'll find anything premade at that size (could be wrong!). There certainly weren't any about when I was looking a year ago. Paid £150 from a LFS for my 3'x1'x3', 10mm glass is fine for that depth so not too pricey.

You might lucky and find a turtle tank (or frag tank as Mitchell suggested below) somewhere, but most of those are custom made to begin with.

search "frag tanks" might help you, there marine, but should be fine for freshwater if you clean it well. There used for growing corals for large surface area.

You could also have one custom built, it'd cost more then, may i ask why you want one like this?

mitchelllawson said:
You could also have one custom built, it'd cost more then, may i ask why you want one like this?

I like the look of shallow tanks! I prefer my tanks to have lots of emersed growth, so shallow is well suited.

Hi Morgan
You could try making one with Perspex from here :arrow: http://www.theplasticpeople.co.uk/cutto ... p-100.html
Would cost about a £100.00 in acrylic.
Ive bought shelving covers from here its well packed no scratches looks super clear.
I was thinking of doing a window sill tank project using this stuff.
Cheers
hoggie

hogan53 said:
Hi Morgan
You could try making one with Perspex from here :arrow: http://www.theplasticpeople.co.uk/cutto ... p-100.html
Would cost about a £100.00 in acrylic.
Ive bought shelving covers from here its well packed no scratches looks super clear.
I was thinking of doing a window sill tank project using this stuff.
Cheers
hoggie

Good idea, I've used this company before as it goes. As far as I'm aware, acrylic glue is used to effectively bond two pieces of acrylic together right?

Hi there,

Great dimensions! A friend has a 100cm x 60 x 30H optiwhite that looks amazing with whatever aquascape I've seen in there from fully planted to SPS reef.

I absolutely adore my shallow tank. Best set-up I've ever owned. I just love getting in there with the pruning scissors and tweezers, and I hardly get a wet finger! Mine is also on a regular-height cabinet, so the top of the tank is relatively low. This gives a unique top-down view when you're standing that's pretty cool. This combined with the extra front-rear depth and potential of emerged growth etc...

I reckon it's only a matter of time before shallow tanks enter the mass market, as serious aquascaping becomes more popular along with the desire to mix above and underwater life.

BTW, I'd expect to pay around £150 to £200 for the dimensions stated, in optiwhite. You should only need 8mm glass.

Bit of a dredge. I'd be interested to know peoples opinions on the height of a tank I'm considering at the moment. I have a space of 70x40cm so trying to decide on the height. Having seen George's shallow tank in the flesh, I'm taken by the idea of a shallow tank. But, how shallow, when you take into account the 70cm length? I'm thinking 25cm. Good proportions?

You need to have a good idea of your scape beforehand, I think. It can be difficult to create a good sense of height in a shallow tank, unless you're using emergent plants/hardscape. Decide on your plant list and layout, then pick an appropriate depth of tank.

SteveUK said:
Bit of a dredge. I'd be interested to know peoples opinions on the height of a tank I'm considering at the moment. I have a space of 70x40cm so trying to decide on the height. Having seen George's shallow tank in the flesh, I'm taken by the idea of a shallow tank. But, how shallow, when you take into account the 70cm length? I'm thinking 25cm. Good proportions?

I second that Steve :) I reckon you would get away with 30cm quite easily though. Don't restrict yourself too much, bearing in mind substrate and then whatever you want to add in terms of hardscape :)

Morgan Freeman said:
Is there anywhere that does off the shelf shallow tanks?

I'd like an idea off prices but I'm not ready to buy yet so don't want to hassle builders for quotes.

Looking at something like 3.5ft x 1.5 deep x 30cm tall.

£113 from this place, made in Optiwhite, for 100cm x 45cm x 30cm
http://www.poseidons-palace.co.uk/Poseidons_Aquariums/Rimless Aquariums.htm

Just enter the dimensions you fancy and play around with their price calculator.

I am getting shallow "cube" 45x45x30cm high Was thinking of 25cm high only but that's maybe not enough. Although got some another shallow 60x20x20cm recently and it looks stunning so depends on other tank dimensions.

Back