• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Shingetsu [update] new pics! 19/2/11 Go away diatoms!

Re: Shingetsu [update] new pics! 8/2/11

Looks good, keep the co2 high and the water changes daily and you're home and dry.
One thing I will say is the tank is very tall and makes it feel very top heavy, a different tank next time? :D

definately hehe ive got a 18Lx10Hx10W for the next project ;)

My first tank was an 18x12x12, that'll make for a nice scape.

Also, that background stuff, get it from wilko and save yourself a tonne of monies.

Re: Shingetsu [update] new pics! 19/2/11

New pics 19/2/11!!

so to begin i would like to update you all on whats been going on with the tank, the lilaeopsis emersed leaves started looking very sorry for themselves after a week and a day, so i cut all those down to substrate, its formed loads of new leaves, and has good root growth so far.
ive had some issues with diatoms on the glass, hc and rocks, and some fine brown hair algae on the rocks and hc, but hopefully the 50% a day waterchanges and the easycarbo will keep on top of it, ive also got the photoperiod at 6 hours still.

Also a Big thankyou to RudeDogg who sent me some really nice floaters salvinia, nile lettuce and amazon frogbit, hoping the extra biomass will help with the algae also as it seems to be linked to cutting down the lilaeopsis and the release of ammonia and loss of biomass from that.

And i've trimmed the hc for the first time! just took off the leggy growth, And pushed some bits further into the substrate as they were trying to come up a bit.

Floaters!!
gedc0206.jpg

Floaters from underneath.
gedc0205.jpg

HC close up.(false pearling as ive just done a waterchange and prune before this.)
gedc0209z.jpg

Close up of lilaeopsis roots and new leaves.
gedc0221.jpg

Another close up of the pruning of the lilaeopsis, those dead ends have been a hotpsot for algal growth.
gedc0222g.jpg

Close-up of the eleocharis, which has grown amazingly well since i cut it down, all new growth looks great, ive had a few bits of brush algae on the cut ends of 2 or 3 bits but nothing major.
gedc0219.jpg

put in a small crypt that ive had about 2 years, at one point the rhizome had no leaves at all, its been growing under really low light for ages but i just stuck it in to see what happens really :) probably wont suit the scape.
gedc0223t.jpg

Some more closeups of hc and lilaeopsis.

gedc0217.jpg

gedc0216n.jpg

And the obligatory full tank shot!.

gedc0203.jpg

Regards, Gus. any advice or critiscism welcomed. :)

looks like your doing good.

The liliaeopsis can be a tricky plant. It's good you have new growth...you can relax now.

You have 2 options for the old emersed growth that you've cut down to ground level....

Option 1...leave it but syphon around it daily, until it disappears
option2...trim as close as you dare to the substrate to get rid as quick as posible.

It's just a case of waiting for that stuff to vanish. In my tank, the old stuff rotted away and has all gone, leaving you with underwater form :D

It's a slow grower, so just leave it alone for the time being.

its to stop em getting blown about everywhere :) and it makes cleaning up any dead bits in the tank loads easier as it doesnt get mixed in with the floaters.

Mark @ the lilaeopis, ive been at it pretty much everyday, lmfao, i seem to trim it lower and lower each time i go at it, but i cant really get anymore off now, and the problem is if i go too low the plants just sproing up from the aquasoil and i have to plant it again, the leaves are definately shedding, they come up in dribs and drabs, i usually give the plants a good brush with my fingers before waterchange, then syphon around them whilst changing the water.

ive also been doing a bit of easycarbo diluted spot dosing on the ends of the lilaeopsis with good results on the hairy algae.

Looking really good mate, good growth from all plants and looking healthy. Diatoms are getting brave lately and popping up in everyones tanks. Keep doing what your doing and yourll beat it, I had them for a good week, but daily 50% w/c and cutting of the most affected leaves helped, as well as brushing rocks and the class with a toothbrush then doing the wc helped a lot

Keep at it mate :)

Nice 1 nayr cheers for the comments, i will try the toothbrush trick on the rocks. :)

Regards, Gus.

Fozz, I'm stunned.

That tank is looking lovely, everthings looking really green and healthy.

I love the layout too. ~I'm not trying to blow smoke up your you know what, I like to be critiacal tbh.

Keep it up :) :) :)

Its looking superb! The scape is top notch, and when them plants get going it will look fabulous. The lilaepsis will look great there, I fancy trying some myself!

Back