• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Shoaling fish suggestions

Most tetras will be fine, but few truly shoal

Last edited:
You probably better with at least ten or twelve and a lot depends on your aquarium a area that is open but still offers some security with plants and hardscape, may work bestA jungle style they may not shoal as well. common tetras like Glowlights, Black Neons, Rummy Noses come to mind

I got some green neon tetras in a small (60 litres) tank. Didn’t really expect to see much shoaling but they've been much better than I thought they'd be.

It’s worth noting, that even shoaling species won’t necessarily shoal in a well setup aquarium; if they feel safe why shoal up?

At least, that’s as I see it anyway

I'd advise against ember tetras which I have found quite boring in terms of their movement, or lack of; try to choose one which can deal with flow as you may need flow to benefit your aquarium, and some tetra are from stiller rivers.

Rummynose for me, too. They tend to stick together most of the time. Black neons and cardinals not so much for me. Columbian tetras are boisterous, but probably my favourite tetra. They're stunning once mature with deep red fins and a silvery/blue body. They go through phases of hiding and then bossing the tank, and the regularly shoal. They smash into the food too, which is fun to watch!

Just to be that guy. Many species will shoal. But few will school.

But the question wasn’t which species will school?

It’s actually kind of odd to say whether fish is shoaling or schooling; because I keep schooling fish, but I’d say they’re shoaling fish now. In an aquarium the dynamic is so different from wild that apart from day one introductions, I’ve never really seen schooling fish. But I see plenty of shoaling fish. And, on day one, you can bet some random inhabitants join the “school”.

Tetras, Pygmy cories, barbs all start of schooling, then just shoal (sometimes), rarely.

I guess then you could argue that a single species is a school, which I’d agree with, but I think the question is reasonably vague but no answer is incorrect imo.

It’s actually kind of odd to say whether fish is shoaling or schooling;
I’d have to disagree, it’s fairly simple to say either one.

They’re either all swimming in unison, synchronised like a flock of birds.

Or

They’re all grouped together whether that’s tightly or loosely but not moving in unison.

I agree on the difference between shoaling and schooling, and I think people often use the term 'shoaling' when they mean 'schooling' - probably because most tanks are too small to identify separate shoaling behaviour (i.e. if fish of the same species are opposite ends of a 60p, they're probably still socially shoaling together because in the wild their shoal would be spread over a wider area anyway.

I think the key thing people often don't appreciate when they seek 'schooling' bevahiour is this:

It’s worth noting, that even shoaling species won’t necessarily shoal in a well setup aquarium; if they feel safe why shoal up?

At least, that’s as I see it anyway

We like to see fish schooling because that's what we see on TV nature programs, or when diving/snorkling in the wild, but schooling is actually a strategy to avoid predation when the fish feel the risk of predation is significant. So you can assume for most of the time a schooling fish is a stressed fish. When our fish don't school in our aquariums, its because they don't fear predation sufficiently to engage that strategy - that's a good thing!

The only other time I seem to see loose schooling is when it's associated with social behaviour, often linked to breeding display, and typically with more faster moving species. My current Threadfin Rainbow's occasionally loosely school in my tank, despite having plenty of places to hide, and despite being one of the boldest fish in the tank, so I assume the behaviour is linked to display and interaction for breeding purposes.

Last edited:
Hi all,
When our fish don't school in our aquariums, its because then don't fear predation sufficiently to engage that strategy - that's a good thing!
<"Same for me">.
My current Threadfin Rainbow's occasionally loosely school in my tank, despite having plenty of places to hide, and despite being one of the boldest fish in the tank, so I assume the behaviour is linked display and interaction for breeding purposes.
They do, and <"I think it is">.

cheers Darrel

Hyphessobrycon Margitae

Screenshot_20230925_205640_Chrome.jpg

Sorry I wasn’t trying to derail, I sometimes take a closer look on someone when then say “hate to be that person but…” if the context and/or request is understood, just feels a little unnecessary to me. But, you be you @seedoubleyou 😊👍

That said, I do think we’re all in agreement, I was just trying to explain that schooling is basically so rare in an aquarium that shoaling could actually be what the OP was asking (though I don’t think so 😅)

Back