• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Shorter periods of high intensity light an algae trigger?

Malarky

Is there any evidence that shorter periods of higher intensity light (vs longer lower intensity light) are an algae trigger? Asking this because my daft light, I went the budget route, isn't dimmable.

I don't think you'll have any issues with a shorter photoperiod, alternatively, stick some black tape over some of the LEDs to dim it, or you can raise the light unit which will reduce its overall intensity.

Well... for me high intensity light is more of an algae trigger than is long duration. When I've had issues with algae, reducing lighting intensity has been my first course of action.

Same here... long duration at lower light intensity. I am not entirely sure about the nitty gritty of the plants physiology, but I believe the principle is that it weaken the plants if nutrient demands (predominantly CO2) relative to light intensity is not met, which in turn can cause outbreaks of algae. You can usually run a CO2 injected tank at a significantly higher light intensity. I run both my low-tech tanks at +12 hour photo periods, but at relatively low intensity.

Cheers,
Michael

Is there any evidence that shorter periods of higher intensity light (vs longer lower intensity light) are an algae trigger? Asking this because my daft light, I went the budget route, isn't dimmable.
What light?
Most inexpensive led with either a wall wart or brick (12 to 24vdc) are easily dimmed for very little money.

Amazon product ASIN B00GGZIIDY

Back