• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

should i dose a new set up

yoda

Seedling
hi guys

just a quick question for those of you in the know, im about to set up a small 35lt ark tank

im planning on using jbl aqua basis plus topped with a layer of jbl manando substrate
i bought one of the bucket kits from jbl were you get the jbl ferropol & ferropol 24.
ive read & heard a number of times from different sources that the plants will take up to 4 wks to settle in to there new tank after planting & in that time will not use any ferts, others have told me that they dose from day 1with no ill effects, even jbl state on the instructions for the ferropol not to dose until wk 4 other wise it may cause algae, im aware of the differing views of what actually causes algae in a planted tank (ammonia, if what i have been told is correct & not nutrients) if i am wrong about that please correct me.

now either way, if i am going to use manando as a substrate & dose from day 1 will the manando store the nutrients that im dosing since thats basically what it does (from my understanding, it stores excess nutrients then releases them if theres a shortage at some point)

just want a little help to point me in the right direction

thanking you in advance.

I started dosign Easy life - Easy Carbo from the first day and nothing happened.If the plants are not so fresh it is ok to dose it for a week and the stop.This will boost they'r energy to settle in the new tank.First week use 10 hours of light when dosing and after that use only 8.

oky doky, will do & for thanks that.

Yoda

I would dose fertz to a new planted set up, if the plants purchased have been looked after correctly fertz would have been added at the shop, maybe not the quantity that we would add. By not adding fertz you could induce problems (Algae) due to in-sufficent fertz.

Think of it this way - you have a preplanted tank and decided to add some more plants, you are going to continue add fertz for the exisiting plants that are in the tank to keep them alive - yes - you are not going to stop add fertz because you have added new plants to your existing plants are you.

Regards
paul.

Back