• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Should I start again?

Hi bertie , I have the same size tank and lighing. I've upturned a reflector. How did all of the advice pan out. ?

Hi,
I have answered your pm.
I can honestly say that if you follow the advice given on UKAPS you will not go far wrong as the people on this Forum are extremely knowledgeable.. My tank is much improved and although now suffering from a bit of GSA it is many times better than it was.
So my answer is if you follow the advice given you can not go far wrong.
Good Luck.

Thanks Bernie, glad to hear you persevered and are seeing results. I will try some tweaking the co2 and perhaps get myself a longer spray bar along the back or\and a power head or two to increase flow. At the moment I'm running just one ehiem 2217 with a external co2 attomizier attached to the output. Because of this the spaybar is slightly angled downward so that the co2 gets pushed down along the front of the aquarium glass and along the bottom so the co2 has more contact with the water. As a consequence their is no surface movement at all....a slick can be seen. So I guess my question is do I need a surface ripple ? Oh and should a change my lighting from the juwel high lites ? Do you think your LEDs improved growth or minimalised algae production ? Or is this just a case of stick with what tech you have and get things balanced in terms of light photoperiod, flow, co2 and nutrients ? Cheers - ross

Well, on good advice from here I did put a full length spraybar along the back wal,l and that made a big difference to the co2 distribution and I have three circ pumps along the back.............maybe overkill but it made me feel happier about my flow and distribution.
In reality you should be looking at the spraybar pointing directly in a straight line across the aquarium so that it hits the opposite wall, travels down and then across the bottom and back up again in a circular motion. Having a ripple means that you should be able to add more co2 without gassing the fish,as the ripple enables more gas exchange.
As far as lighting goes, I could have carried on ok with the Juwel lights, it is just easier for me to be able to physically turn one strip of lights off, but I just wanted the led really. If you keep one of the lights blocked until you get co2,flow and distribution sorted, then the Juwel lights will be fine and you may even find that having one light blocked off is ideral for your situation.

The Rio 180 with T5 lighting is a bloody nightmare, far too much light. I have the same tank and an upturned reflector blocking the light from one of the bulbs is the main thing that helped to get the tank into balance.

Thanks Bertie and others my mind is at ease for now. Great advice and I am looking forward to a greener future.

Back