• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Show off your shallow tanks

Danny

After having to move my current tank I have realised I have the perfect place for a 4ft tank now, I'm having visions of a 4ft shallow tank after looking at a few shallow scapes.

I have a 120x45x20 in mind and would like to see what others have done with similar sized tanks.

This is my 3ft tank when it was in its prime, tearing it down ATM to do a blackwater with lots of wood etc. I guess its more narrow than shallow :p 90cm x 21cm x 25cm

35916049346_22c9958a9e_c.jpg
IMG_9802
by Colm Doyle, on Flickr

And also check this out https://www.ukaps.org/forum/threads/show-your-shallow-tank.33919/

upload_2017-12-6_8-54-5.png

To those who keep shallow tanks, do you find compared to deeper tanks they are more prone to algae? My bookshelf tank is the only tank I really get algae in (the other tanks have algae but not to the same level) I get a fair bit of algae on the glass, I am guessing because its so narrow and shallow its gets a lot of light.

I am guessing because its so narrow and shallow its gets a lot of light.
Well sure, that was my initial thought too. Obviously, being shallow light intensity doesn't need to be as high to get optimum PAR at the substrate.
I don't have a PAR meter but I'll bet my tanks have relatively moderate light levels; optimising CO2 flow and distribution is far more important.

I rescaped my bookshelf tank today, will create a journal soon, water is about 20cm deep, raise the light right up as I am trying to go for a blackwater look / slow growers.

25064833818_803810422f_c.jpg
IMG_0891
by Colm Doyle, on Flickr

Back