• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Shrimp are dying.

Jaseon

So after starting with a colony of 20 bloody marys im down to the same name number. I did have over 70, and they were thriving. I have not changed anything that i am aware of so scratching my head wondering why. Its most if not all the juveniles all the adults are fine with some berried females. Just found another now laying on its side, but when i gently stirred next to it it came upright and swimming around although looks like its suffering with lack of buoyancy. No other outward signs.

No Planaria in the tank or other nasties although i do have a large population of seed shrimp. Water parameters are as they should be and i have not added anything else. They are well fed with a varied diet.

I have not added anymore shrimp so was thinking maybe bad genetics as its the same colony?

Below is the same shrimp its as if it couldn't correct itself but managed to swim around a bit.
20240312_150251.jpg
20240312_150413.jpg
Untitled.jpg

Hi @Jaseon

Sorry about your loss! Hard to say what's going on.

One thing that sticks out is your water hardness... 2.58 dGH is likely too low/soft for your Cherries long term. They do tend to prefer slight higher or 4-5 dGH. Add a bit more Calcium and Magnesium. They do need a good bit of calcium and magnesium to support the development of their exoskeleton. The effect of keeping them in water that is too soft is really a slow die-off of the colony. A couple of other things that are common causes of death among shrimps is lack of oxygen in the water column - this one will usually result in the death of many shrimps over a short period of time. Same goes for a spike in Copper or Nickel that can accumulate in the substrate and suddenly get released due to disturbance. And of course, a lethal spike in Toxic ammonia or Nitrite can cause this, but such events will usually cause mass-death as well. There are illnesses among shrimps as well, but they are hard to detect and diagnose let alone cure. Short term I would test of Ammonia, add aeration and bump up the dGH with some Calcium and Magnesium.

Cheers,
Michael

Hi @Jaseon

Sorry about your loss! Hard to say what's going on.

One thing that sticks out is your water hardness... 2.58 dGH is likely too low/soft for your Cherries long term. They do tend to prefer slight higher or 4-5 dGH. Add a bit more Calcium and Magnesium. They do need a good bit of calcium and magnesium to support the development of their exoskeleton. The effect of keeping them in water that is too soft is really a slow die-off of the colony. A couple of other things that are common causes of death among shrimps is lack of oxygen in the water column - this one will usually result in the death of many shrimps over a short period of time. Same goes for a spike in Copper or Nickel that can accumulate in the substrate and suddenly get released due to disturbance. And of course, a lethal spike in Toxic ammonia or Nitrite can cause this, but such events will usually cause mass-death as well. There are illnesses among shrimps as well, but they are hard to detect and diagnose let alone cure. Short term I would test of Ammonia, add aeration and bump up the dGH with some Calcium and Magnesium.

Cheers,
Michael
Cheers.

I do add eggshell for calcium. What can i add for a source of mag?

I have noticed evidence of molting, but it would make sense that its lacking for them. The older shrimp are not molting as much which might point to the reason im not seeing any deaths from them just the juveniles who molt more often.

Other things i can think of. I rarely do water changes for them just top off as i assumed less is more in that regard so might have gone too far with it. I have been looking at what im feeding them. I make my own food up with mussels, veg, spirulina. The mussels are out of date by a year but wouldn't think that would be bad for them.

My substrate is a thin layer of river sand.

Basic set up. Matten filter, some Susswassertang, thin layer of river sand. The white bits are where i have added eggshell which i sprinkle in now and again.

20240312_161431.jpg

What can i add for a source of mag?
Foodgrade Epsom salt (MgSO4).

I have noticed evidence of molting, but it would make sense that its lacking for them. The older shrimp are not molting as much which might point to the reason im not seeing any deaths from them just the juveniles who molt more often.

Other things i can think of. I rarely do water changes for them just top off as i assumed less is more in that regard so might have gone too far with it.
Frequent water changes are good thing especially in scarcely a planted tank such as yours.... what the shrimps don't like is varying water parameters... which is often induced with a water change if you have gone too long... Do you own a TDS meter? if so, what are you measuring.

I have been looking at what im feeding them. I make my own food up with mussels, veg, spirulina. The mussels are out of date by a year but wouldn't think that would be bad for them.
The food source could very well be the culprit here. Mussels or shellfish in general... I would be extremely careful with mussels - when they get old/rot they will release neurologic toxins among other things and will easily pollute the water - which would be an even bigger issue in your case with infrequent water changes. Also, I am puzzled that you would feed your shrimps mussels... I suppose it's for the protein (which they need), but mussels also contains a great deal of Zinc which is not really good for your shrimps. I don't feed my shrimps any proteins other than protein sticks and an algae wafter blend that also contain protein which they love - other than that I use scalded zucchini and scalded kale - both are relative safe when they decompose (I try to remove as soon as they loose interest, but usually they eat everything and the snails mop up the remains).

Cheers,
Michael

Last edited:
Foodgrade Epsom salt (MgSO4).

Do you own a TDS meter? if so, what are you measuring.
Right will look into the Epsom salt.

Ive had TDS meter in my amazon basket for over a year so ashamedly i dont know what it is.

The food source could very well be the culprit here. Mussels or shellfish in general... I would be extremely careful with mussels - when they get old/rot they will release neurologic toxins among other things and will easily pollute the water - which would be an even bigger issue in your case with infrequent water changes. Also, I am puzzled that you would feed your shrimps mussels... I suppose it's for the protein (which they need), but mussels also contains a great deal of Zinc which is not really good for your shrimps. I don't feed my shrimps any proteins other than protein sticks and an algae wafter blend that also contain protein which they love - other than that I use scalded zucchini and scalded kale - both are relative safe when they decompose (I try to remove as soon as they loose interest, but usually they eat everything and the snails mop up the remains).

Cheers,
Michael
I got the recipe from a shrimp keeper on youtube, but im guessing he dont use mussels a year out of date. Im looking at that as a strong cause also so will leave that out in any diy food blends in the future.

In the meantime im looking to do a few small water changes, and see how it goes.

So just an update i did a 25% water changed vac the substrate which is only river sand, and so far no more deaths.

I should have jumped on this way earlier to avoid losing as many as i did, but live, and learn.

@MichaelJ thanks for the advice.

Back