• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Shrimp deaths - water or ferts

idris

This morning I've found 2 dead Amanos and the other 4 are either almost static at the surface or almost static at the bottoms of the tank.

They've been pleasantly active over the last few weeks.

In the last week I've started using ferts (APF's all in one dry mix, as per instructions, though not as often as daily).
Yesterday I did a 20% water change with decchlorinated water (Tetra Aquasafe, the same for a couple of months).
Today dead shrimp.

Could it possibly be the ferts, or is it most likely water pollution

This is not the first spate of sudden unexplained deaths I've had (Neons, Dwarf Gouramis, Dwarf Rainbows) and I'm increasingly suspicious of the tap water. But short of the complications and cost of RO water (I can't, for example see a way of using RO water when it needs to have tap water added of the tap water is the problem) I'm complexly stumped as to a solution. And without a mass spectrometer in my garage, I have no way to know what's in the water that's the problem.

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ferts would not kill your shrimp if you had this with fish before then it can be tap or maybe you overfeed inhabitants and bacteria build up then they start to go one by one.

Tap water can be issue sometimes you can try Seachem Prime and overdose it for each water change. Prime can neutralize ammonia, nitrites up to 24 hours, and remove chlorine, and turn copper in to chelated inactive state harmless for shrimp but you have to doze higher amount of it as more of this crap you have in water more prime you need. So you can try 3x 5x recommended doze without issues.

Nothing like that. The only possible changes to the water are those mentioned.
I'm waiting to hear back from the water company's water quality team and a friend who used to work as a material scientist will be back freelancing at her old lab in a couple of weeks and will run some water samples through some "machine" (she didn't say if it was a spectrometer or something else), but I'll have to wait for that.

Back