• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Shrimps after a week?

kareny

Seedling
Hi everyone!

I just got a Dennerle 20 l. set up and the instructions say that it's OK to add shrimps at the rate of 5 per 10 l. after just a week. From what I've been reading, that's too early as the tank won't have cycled by then and there will be a danger of ammonia and nitrite spikes. I'm going to do a fishless cycle - any ideas on how long I should wait once the nitrite has dropped to 0 before I add anything, bearing in mind how sensitive shrimps are - and how many can I add at a time after then to avoid any possible nitrite or ammonia spikes? Any advice would be very welcome.

Thanks.

The bioload from shrimps is very low so you do not have to worry about how many you add at once in the same way as fish.
Test for nitrites and if there is none you are good to go.
However, I would leave the tank for longer than a week as the shrimp like to feed on biofilm in the tank, and your tank will not have any after that time. If it was me I would make sure I had moss (great surface for biofilm) in there for about a month before adding them. I am known to be way over cautious though!

If you are going to do a fishless cycle with household ammonia, don't add any plants until after the cycle and keep the lights off otherwise the tank will be a mess with algae. Keep feeding the tank with ammonia until it is all processed within 12 hours then your tank is cycled.

A heavily planted tank with a few shrimps should be ok without a fishless cycle depending on the substrate you choose. Cherry shrimps are quite hardy and may be the best to start with. Shrimps don't produce much waste so you shouldn't see ammonia spikes as long as you don't overfeed them.

Back