• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Shrimps for a bowl?

RCS are nails and ideal for this environment. They are members of the Neocardina genus / family and they are all generally tough little shrimp. Avoid Cardina spp shrimp at all costs such as CRS, CBS etc etc as they are very sensitive and would not appreiate the fluctuations in water parameters that you will get in such a small volume of water.

Any pics of the bowl - i'm intruiged!

I would stick to cherries untill the Bowl has matured for a few months and the planting is Dense, as In Newmans.

I just recently set up the bowl, ill try snap some pics tonight. There are some RCS in there at the moment.

mitchelllawson said:
I just recently set up the bowl, ill try snap some pics tonight. There are some RCS in there at the moment.

Yeah, that would be very good to see! Look forward to seeing them :thumbup:

Sorry guys, I took some pics but it won't let me upload them to my computer, i'm only 15 and i think my grandad might have one i can use, i'll ask him to bring it up on christmas.

I was thinking, How hardy are these shrimp
- Blue Pearl Shrimp
- Yellow Shrimp
- Snowball Shrimp

Anymore hardy shrimp you can think of?

I would not Risk those shrimp in a new tank or bowl. Start with Cherries and Have Patience for the bowl to mature first.

Id be getting them months down the line, I'm planning to start 5 or more bowls and have different type of shrimp in each, then a 10G for culls to try and fire out different genes by crossbreeding. If you look at the link to Newman's bowl you can see that after month he managed to get CRS into his bowl and even raised there young in there.

That makes more sense.
What type of bowls are you going to use. I prefer to use the ones from Wilkinsons, TK Maxx or Ikea, as they are atleast a few mm thicker glass.

Its about 5mm thick glass, i actually got it from ASDA for £8, then my mum goes into Ikea the next day and finds one twice as big for £10, so i'm thinking about buying 4 of the bigger ones and keeping the smaller one for RCS. Just noticed now after buying the shrimp 4 days ago and putting them in the bowl 2 nights ago a female is berried.

Do you run filters on these 'shrimp bowls'? Interesting......

If you look at the link in the description, you can read through that and it explains that these are self-maintaining bowls using only the plants as filters.

It does depend on the density of the population, and what plants you use.
I have one of the Asda Bowls with Frogbit and moss, Hydrocoytle with a few cherries and have not touched it in over a month. Bar topping off nothing done, nothing fed.

Correct, a 1 gallon densely planted cycled bowl will easily hold 2-4 Adult RCS and 2 Generations on younger shrimp, after that you will have to start taking them out.

Thanks but can anyone answer my question about the shrimp list i posted earlier, will any of them be hardy enough for a bowl?

mitchelllawson said:
Thanks but can anyone answer my question about the shrimp list i posted earlier, will any of them be hardy enough for a bowl?

Yes I would be ok with the Yellow Sakura in a Bowl, as they are a Cherry Color Morph Varient

Back